Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hannity explodes after being confronted by ThinkProgress about previous offer to be waterboarded for charity

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hannity Explodes After Being Confronted By ThinkProgress About Previous Offer To Be Waterboarded For Charity

Fox News host Sean Hannity is so adamant that waterboarding is not torture that he once offered to be waterboarded at a charity event and donate the proceeds to soldiers’ families. Four years later, a yet-to-be-waterboarded Hannity did not take kindly to being called out about it on his own radio show.

On April 22, 2009, Charles Grodin appearedon Hannity’s Fox News show and asked Hannity, if he doesn’t believe waterboarding is torture, would he agree to be waterboarded. “Sure,” Hannity said. “I’ll do it for charity. I’ll let you do it. I’ll do it for the troops’ families.” But four years later, Hannity has yet to follow through on his offer.

When ThinkProgress brought up the matter at the beginning of an appearance on his radio show on Wednesday, Hannity’s displeasure was palpable. “I’m not getting into your five-year-old issue,” Hannity grumbled. We pressed on when he was planning to hold the event, the Fox host lost it. “Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me. I get to ask the questions on the program,” Hannity said:

SCOTT KEYES: Before we get started I wanted to say one quick thing. Back in April 2009, you’d made a very generous offer. To prove that it’s not torture, you agreed on your television show to be waterboarded for charity and to donate the proceeds to the troops’ families.

HANNITY: I said Charles Grodin could do it.

KEYES: Now I know you’re an honorable guy Sean, when are you planning to hold the event?

HANNITY: You’re obviously taping this. I’m not getting into your five-year-old issue. Here I am bringing you on the program and give you an opportunity to give your pretty radical left-wing point of view, that’s kind of the way you treat me. But that’s all right.

KEYES: Sean, I’m just curious because you don’t think this is torture.

HANNITY: Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me. I get to ask the questions on the program.

Listen to it:

Hannity gave no indication that he was planning to follow through on his promise to be waterboarded for charity.

Immediately following the show, Hannity was so incensed that he personally called ThinkProgress to complain. He accused ThinkProgress of being “fixated” on the matter, baffled that we brought up an issue that he said hasn’t been news for years. After we respectfully disagreed and explained that it was disingenuous for him to offer to be waterboarded in order to prove that it’s not torture, only not to follow through on the offer, Hannity sighed, “what you’re doing here is really stupid.” He insisted, though, that it wasn’t a sensitive subject.

Waterboarding is still an extremely important, and undercovered, story today. It still exists, it’s still torture, and the only American who’s been sentenced to prison over the matter is a former CIA agent and vocal torture opponent who spoke out about the practice. Waterboarding is now part of the mainstream with the help of defenders like Hannity who insist that it’s not actually torture.

NewsHounds and Reddit have kept a running tally of how long it’s been since Hannity first offered to be waterboarded for charity. January 30 marked 1,379 days since Hannity reneged on the promise.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USBrit
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

WHO CARES!

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Reminds me during the Occupy movement when Megyn Kelly from Fox News called Pepper Spray essentially just a food product.

At least she didn't play it down to the point where she said, "I would be willing to get pepper sprayed" and then weasal out of it.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I imagine the people who are advocates of getting Waterboarding off the toolset.

Well they don't want him to actually do it. They just want to point out that he hasn't done it and refuses to do it.

Quoting USBrit:

WHO CARES!

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:35 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I care.  I'm a very proud American.

Why don't you care?  

Quoting USBrit:

WHO CARES!

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I don't care because Sean Hannity is just another talking head on the news. I don't really care what he thinks.....Don't get me wrong...I like Fox news, but they like all the others CNN , etc are just reporters. They aren't the ones that truely understand the implications of what works for our Country's safety. They only report what they hear and make statements. If he said he would do it and then decided not to.....that is a "who cares".  This has nothing to do with being a proud American, or NOT.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Why don't you care?  

Quoting USBrit:

WHO CARES!

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I would agree if he was just another reporter on some small problem.

But he has millions of viewers, and is on Fox News one of the biggest News programs. A LOT of people look up to him so when he says something like waterboarding isn't that bad and that he would be willing to do it. Lots of people look at that and think, "Waterboarding isn't that bad. He was willing to do it".

So the people who are against waterboarding look back on it and realize he has not done it.

So like I said in my last post. I don't think anyone wants him to actually do it. They just want to point out that he hasn't done it. Because it now has the reverse effect. Now it makes people think, "Maybe waterboarding isn't bad. He wasn't willing to do it".

Quoting USBrit:

I don't care because Sean Hannity is just another talking head on the news. I don't really care what he thinks.....Don't get me wrong...I like Fox news, but they like all the others CNN , etc are just reporters. They aren't the ones that truely understand the implications of what works for our Country's safety. They only report what they hear and make statements. If he said he would do it and then decided not to.....that is a "who cares".  This has nothing to do with being a proud American, or NOT.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Why don't you care?  

Quoting USBrit:

WHO CARES!

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

gammie
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Don't like Hannity!

I have seen him lie and when you point it out he does get a little crazy.

Only one thing he and I can agree on is he said: Don't listen to me I always pick the wrong guy.

Talking about the presidential election.

lga1965
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hahaha...." I get to ask the questions on this program" ...typical of him. Hannity is such a beanbrain.  He needs to do what he said he would do---get waterboarded.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting USBrit:

WHO CARES!

The signatories of the United Nations Convention Against Torture care if a significant faction of the American media are working to erode those hard-won protections.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)