Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oregon Bakery Says No to Same Sex Wedding Cake

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:04 AM
  • 482 Replies

Oregon bakery refuses to make same-sex wedding cake

'I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God,' owner says

By 
KGW-TV
updated 2/2/2013 5:53:52 PM ET

GRESHAM, Ore. — The Oregon Department of Justice is looking into a complaint that a Gresham bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a same sex marriage.

It started on Jan. 17 when a mother and daughter showed up at Sweet Cakes by Melissa looking for the perfect wedding cake.

"My first question is what's the wedding date," said owner Aaron Klein. "My next question is bride and groom's name ... the girl giggled a little bit and said it's two brides."

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for same-sex marriages. Klein said the women were disgusted and walked out.

"I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God," said Klein. "A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife ... that to me is the beginning of marriage."

At the advice of their attorney, the women are not speaking to the media, but they have plenty of support. Numerous people have blasted the Klein's on the internet.

What Klein wants to make clear is that he and his wife do not hate homosexuals.

"They can buy my stuff," said Klein. "I'll sell them stuff ... I'll talk to them, it's fine."

What is not fine, according to Klein, is a marriage between people of the same sex. He will always stand by that conviction.

"I'd rather have my kids see their dad stand up for what he believes in then to see him bow down because one person complained."

ORS 659A.403 is the law in question. In short, it prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodation. Klein and his wife have two weeks to respond to the Oregon Department of Justice's inquiry into what happened

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50679304/ns/us_news-life/?ocid=msnhp&pos=5#.UQ4LTieCmPU

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:07 AM
3 moms liked this

He's going to be losing a shit load of business!

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM
10 moms liked this

wow, lucky homosexuals, this bigoted asshat will TALK to you!

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM
14 moms liked this

Or he will gain business, as did a bakery in Colorado.  The owner said he would sell any sort of cake to anyone at all, except for wedding cakes to memorialize something that is not marriage, scripturally.   He gained business for abiding by his principles. 

There are a thousand other bakeries that will make cakes.  Pick one of them. I never understand these sorts of stupid arguments.  Do you want to force someone to do artistic work against his will?  It won't be very good.  The same sorts of cases have arisen with photographers who have been sued because they don't want to do gay "weddings".  Find someone who WANTS the business and go there.  Use common sense.  If someone didn't want to marry my intended spouse and myself, I would just go elsewhere. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Part of the problem here is that, aside from being a bigot, he's breaking the law. 

ORS 659A.403 is the law in question. In short, it prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodation. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Or he will gain business, as did a bakery in Colorado.  The owner said he would sell any sort of cake to anyone at all, except for wedding cakes to memorialize something that is not marriage, scripturally.   He gained business for abiding by his principles. 

There are a thousand other bakeries that will make cakes.  Pick one of them. I never understand these sorts of stupid arguments.  Do you want to force someone to do artistic work against his will?  It won't be very good.  The same sorts of cases have arisen with photographers who have been sued because they don't want to do gay "weddings".  Find someone who WANTS the business and go there.  Use common sense.  If someone didn't want to marry my intended spouse and myself, I would just go elsewhere. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:39 AM
6 moms liked this

I saw that.  It is true that given the tide of public opinion today, that he will probably lose.  This is the golden calf which you cannot touch in this political environment. 

However, it depends upon whether homosexuality is jurisdictionally prohibited.  For example, in housing law, a landlord cannot discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and disability.  Homosexuality is not a federally protected category, but it is protected in some jurisdictions.    

Oregon, last I read, has actually defined marriage as between a man and a woman, constitutionally.  So...it depends upon whether refusing to make specifically a WEDDING cake for a couple who cannot legally be married anyway is "discrimination" or not.  I think that is a hard argument to make, considering the state itself does not recognize these unions as marriage.  But....given the extremely strong gay lobby and the censure brought down upon the heads of those who stand for traditional beliefs, it wouldn't surprise me if the bakery illogically (given state law) is found to be "discriminating".

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Part of the problem here is that, aside from being a bigot, he's breaking the law. 

ORS 659A.403 is the law in question. In short, it prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodation. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM
4 moms liked this

He's an asshole.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of other assholes who will support him because of his bigotry.  And unless he refuses also to sell cakes to any couple having a secular wedding, he is a hypocrite as well as an asshole. 

I think it'll be great if it turns out he broke the law and has to pay damages.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM
4 moms liked this

How is he discriminating by not making same-sex wedding cakes?  He is not refusing to serve anyone, he isrefusing to make a product. 

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

How is he discriminating by not making same-sex wedding cakes?  He is not refusing to serve anyone, he isrefusing to make a product. 

How is a same sex wedding cake different from an opposite sex wedding cake?

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Isn't he generous...he'll talk to them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

One relationship is legally recognized in the state and the other isn't?

That is the difference I see.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

How is a same sex wedding cake different from an opposite sex wedding cake?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)