Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oregon Bakery Says No to Same Sex Wedding Cake

Posted by   + Show Post

Oregon bakery refuses to make same-sex wedding cake

'I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God,' owner says

By 
KGW-TV
updated 2/2/2013 5:53:52 PM ET

GRESHAM, Ore. — The Oregon Department of Justice is looking into a complaint that a Gresham bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a same sex marriage.

It started on Jan. 17 when a mother and daughter showed up at Sweet Cakes by Melissa looking for the perfect wedding cake.

"My first question is what's the wedding date," said owner Aaron Klein. "My next question is bride and groom's name ... the girl giggled a little bit and said it's two brides."

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for same-sex marriages. Klein said the women were disgusted and walked out.

"I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God," said Klein. "A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife ... that to me is the beginning of marriage."

At the advice of their attorney, the women are not speaking to the media, but they have plenty of support. Numerous people have blasted the Klein's on the internet.

What Klein wants to make clear is that he and his wife do not hate homosexuals.

"They can buy my stuff," said Klein. "I'll sell them stuff ... I'll talk to them, it's fine."

What is not fine, according to Klein, is a marriage between people of the same sex. He will always stand by that conviction.

"I'd rather have my kids see their dad stand up for what he believes in then to see him bow down because one person complained."

ORS 659A.403 is the law in question. In short, it prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodation. Klein and his wife have two weeks to respond to the Oregon Department of Justice's inquiry into what happened

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50679304/ns/us_news-life/?ocid=msnhp&pos=5#.UQ4LTieCmPU

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Replies (481-482):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

There is absolutely no difference. Especially since lots of people used the bible to discriminate based on someones skin.

Lots of people used the bible to justify enslaving black people and using it to continue to discriminate against them.

The bible is not a sword of discrimination that you look to, to find a way to discriminate against people.

Quoting candlegal:

There is a difference between refusing to sell to someone because of the color of their skin and refusing to sell to someone because of something that goes against your religion. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Why should they just go to another bakery? Is both a moot point (For him) and a fantastic point (For them).

She is not taking him to court in hopes that he will have to make them a cake. She is taking him to court for discrimination and to hopefully stop him from doing it to anyone else.

She didn't demand that he make her a cake. She left disgusted. Again-She is not suing to get a cake.

So the question becomes. Why should this man be allowed to discriminate? Should we allow restaurants to discriminate against black people too again? Bars? Hotels? I am sure if they look they will find places that accept them.

Or perhaps we should just accept that discrimination is wrong.

Quoting candlegal:

I agree that their business will pick up quite a bit for this.  The problem is that they will probably sue and he will probably lose.  It just doesn't seem to matter if it is your business or not these days, when there is an agenda, if you don't follow it, they will try to shut you down.

Why would they just go to another bakery?   That won't get them publicity and will not further an agenda.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Or he will gain business, as did a bakery in Colorado.  The owner said he would sell any sort of cake to anyone at all, except for wedding cakes to memorialize something that is not marriage, scripturally.   He gained business for abiding by his principles. 

There are a thousand other bakeries that will make cakes.  Pick one of them. I never understand these sorts of stupid arguments.  Do you want to force someone to do artistic work against his will?  It won't be very good.  The same sorts of cases have arisen with photographers who have been sued because they don't want to do gay "weddings".  Find someone who WANTS the business and go there.  Use common sense.  If someone didn't want to marry my intended spouse and myself, I would just go elsewhere. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

He's going to be losing a shit load of business!

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Many people justify their Racism, Bigotry, and Various phobias by the bible. many mothers on this board cling to the bible for justifications for much of their hate (regardless of if they see it or not) until more people stop using a book to justify their fears and hate the worse things will become.. There isn't a Civil Rights movement past or present that didn't have the bible  trying to keep them back. Like i have seen in 20yrs we will look back on this and be sicken by the protesters using the bible to justify their hate just like many are sickened by the Protesters trying to prevent the women's rights movement or segregation.

Like it or not in order to move forward ignorant, hateful so called Christians have to hold us back. The bible doesn't now nor has it EVER stood for half of what Christians try to make it stand for. We are a smart Race of humans. Eventually we will move past this and those hateful Christians will either learn or be left behind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN