Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'American Sniper' author Chris Kyle fatally shot at Texas gun range

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 31 Replies

'American Sniper' author Chris Kyle fatally shot at Texas gun range

A former Navy SEAL who wrote "American Sniper," a best-selling book about his lethal career as a marksman in Iraq, was shot to death with another man at a gun range near Stephenville, Texas, on Saturday. 

Chris Kyle, 38, and the other man were found dead at the shooting range of Rough Creek Lodge on Saturday afternoon, Texas Highway Patrol spokesman Lonny Haschel told KXAS.

The gunman, identified as Eddie Ray Routh of Lancaster, Texas, was arrested after a brief pursuit, Trooper Haschel said. The other victim was named as Chad Littlefield, aged 35.

Kyle, a Texas native who grew up hunting, served four tours in Iraq with Navy SEAL Team 3. His shooting during battles in Ramadi and Fallujah became legendary, and insurgents nicknamed him the "Devil of Ramadi" and put a bounty on his head.

He was credited with 160 confirmed kills, including one in 2008 in which he said he fired from 2,100 yards away -- 1.2 miles.

The Star-Telegram described him as "America's deadliest sniper."

Haschel said Routh is believed to have shot the victims at around 3:30 p.m. local time (4:30 p.m. ET) before leaving the shooting range and returning to his home in Lancaster in a Ford pickup truck.

The link between Routh and the two victims wasn't immediately clear, Haschel said. The Dallas Morning News reported that Routh was 25 years old and had military training.

NBCDFW.com

Chris Kyle was credited with 160 kills during his time as a Navy SEAL marksman.

Rough Creek Lodge is a resort and conference center about 90 miles southwest of Dallas and 24 miles southeast of Stephenville in the Texas Hill Country. Lancaster is just south of Dallas.

In a February 2012 interview with NBC News, Kyle said he didn’t want to put the number in the book but the publisher insisted.

“If I could figure out the number of people I saved, that’s something I would brag about,” he told NBC News' Lester Holt. 

After leaving the Navy, Kyle founded Craft International, which provides training to military, police, corporate and civilian clients, Reuters said.

"It just comes as a shock and it's staggering to think that after all Chris has been through, that this is how he meets his end, because there are so many ways he could have been killed" in Iraq, Scott McEwen, who co-wrote "American Sniper," told Reuters.

Kyle appeared on the NBC reality TV show "Stars Earn Stripes" last year.

Kyle was married with two children.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I don't know what to say. his poor family. This is awful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

The reports say the person that shot him is a fellow veteran with PTSD that he was trying to help. I know many are concerned that their PTSD may make them ineligable to own a fire arm but honestly I think it should.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I also want to add that I don't think our Veterans are getting the help that they need, there is an epidemic of suicide right now in the Army, I'll post that article later. Our veterans deserve better. This situation is a tragedy.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
This makes me so sad.

He was shot by someone he was trying to help. :-(

My husband goes to the Range and he knows many people there...

May the lost men rest in peace
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I heard the news last night. DH and I are both just devastated. We had planned to attend his civilian weekend if he did another one this year. He was an amazing man and a true patriot. I pray his wife and children can find some kind of comfort in the outpouring of love from the military and firearms community that I have seen thus far.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM
How awful.
Pita369
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM
They have to want the help.. It is looked down upon in the military to ask for help.

Quoting mikiemom:

I also want to add that I don't think our Veterans are getting the help that they need, there is an epidemic of suicide right now in the Army, I'll post that article later. Our veterans deserve better. This situation is a tragedy.

Pita369
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM
His family is on my thoughts and prayers
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM
How horrible. My prayers are with the families of all three men.
LuvmyAiden
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I know very little about the other man who was killed but I know there were organizations that Chris really cared about. I know it may seem like a small thing but the book and the Fitco cares foundation have a facebook page. The comments there are something his wife and children can see if anyone wants to go give those pages a like or a comment. Craft International was a business he was part owner in and wounded warrior was a big cause that he spent a lot of time working with. Taking a moment to check out those things is a nice way to show some last respects for a man who was a true american hero.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN