Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Any hockey moms?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 9 Replies
DS is only three, and we know he Needs basic skating classes first, But just in case he decides he still wants to play hockey after actually learning how to skate, how does momma deal with watching Her baby play such a rough contact sport? I will support anything he wants to do but would like to do so without hiding my face in my hands throughout the entire game!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My boys don't play hockey thank goodness! It's not the contact, but the $$$$$ I'm not crazy about. We have several friends whose kids do play though, and at the young ages there is no contact, no hitting. It's not until they get older that they start with contact.

Be warned though, it is expensive. Even just the house league here is around $600 to register, then there's all the equipment to pay for, and travel. It seems like there's a tournament at least once a month, if not more often, that is out of town. And like I said, that's just house league, the 'fun' league. It gets worse for the more competitive leagues in terms of travel, costs (registration), and, sadly, politics.

The kids we know love it though, our boys just prefer football.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Thank you:) I will pass that along to DH - maybe we can steer DS in a less costly direction!!

Quoting canadianmom1974:

My boys don't play hockey thank goodness! It's not the contact, but the $$$$$ I'm not crazy about. We have several friends whose kids do play though, and at the young ages there is no contact, no hitting. It's not until they get older that they start with contact.

Be warned though, it is expensive. Even just the house league here is around $600 to register, then there's all the equipment to pay for, and travel. It seems like there's a tournament at least once a month, if not more often, that is out of town. And like I said, that's just house league, the 'fun' league. It gets worse for the more competitive leagues in terms of travel, costs (registration), and, sadly, politics.

The kids we know love it though, our boys just prefer football.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Where I am, roller hockey is much less expensive than ice hockey.  My boy didn't start playing until age 9.  But since he's always been a sensory-seeking type, I consider the speed and physicality of the sport to be a plus.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

bump

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Both of my boys play hockey, they are 14 and 5 years old. My oldest does checking, but the youngest doesn't check (on purpose). USA Hockey has strict guidelines for the players to follow.

It is more on the pricey side for most sports; we pay $1500 a season and that includes uniforms, but not the warm up suit. We also have to maintain equipment on our own. Just the other day my oldest needed new skates and that was a cool $325 after taxes. We are also responsible for travel.

New players, like your son's age, won't have all the extra expenses like the older players.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." (Einstein)

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Thank you for the info:)

Quoting NutHouseMomma:

Both of my boys play hockey, they are 14 and 5 years old. My oldest does checking, but the youngest doesn't check (on purpose). USA Hockey has strict guidelines for the players to follow.

It is more on the pricey side for most sports; we pay $1500 a season and that includes uniforms, but not the warm up suit. We also have to maintain equipment on our own. Just the other day my oldest needed new skates and that was a cool $325 after taxes. We are also responsible for travel.

New players, like your son's age, won't have all the extra expenses like the older players.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM

You're welcome.

Oh, and to be clear ~ they usually don't start checking until they are in 6th grade. And the $1500 is per child.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Thank you for the info:)

Quoting NutHouseMomma:

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." (Einstein)

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

It didn't come up for us --we couldn't even afford to entertain the subject.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

My ds does gymnastics and we're thinking of putting dd in Judo. Way less expensive,lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)