Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O of baker refuses to make a SSM cake

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 58 Replies

Gay couple has a contract with a baker to make their SSM wedding cake.  The day before their wedding gay couple is watching the news and see their baker at a rally protesting against SSM.  Does the couple have a right to cancel their contract without paying?  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM

no

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Their baker's actions have no bearing on their contract.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ArianEponae
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. A contract is s contract.
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM

No

finnbar
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok, your title indicates the baker refused to make a cake. The content of your post says the couple now believes the baker is anti gay and they don't want him/her to make their cake. So which one is it?
AmberNGeorge
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Unfortunantely no.  If the couple told him/her what kind of cake it was or what it was for and he/she agreed then thats that.  Unless he refuses at the last minute or screwed your cake up on purpose then you have to pay.

norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Unfortunately no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
4 moms liked this

it would depend on the terms of the contract.  If the baker had in his contract that the order could be cancelled by the customer 24 hours prior to the event then yes they can cancel their contract.  If it stated it needed more time they either pay and take the cake or pay and don't take the cake.  

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM
2 moms liked this

she is indicating it is a spin off of another post with that title or one similar.  I don't think the content of her post was unclear.    

Quoting finnbar:

Ok, your title indicates the baker refused to make a cake. The content of your post says the couple now believes the baker is anti gay and they don't want him/her to make their cake. So which one is it?

tapies2324
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I wonder why the baker would agree to make a cake for a ssm wedding if me didn't believe in ssm. Sort of hypocritical to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)