Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O of baker refuses to make a SSM cake

Posted by   + Show Post

Gay couple has a contract with a baker to make their SSM wedding cake.  The day before their wedding gay couple is watching the news and see their baker at a rally protesting against SSM.  Does the couple have a right to cancel their contract without paying?  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I think discrimination is much sadder.

Quoting tapies2324:

Isn't it crazy?? This is supposed to be a free country yet a baker would be forced into doing something he is morally opposed to? Thats sad.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Cause the baker needs the money or lives in a state where GLBT is included in non-discrimination laws.

Quoting tapies2324:

I wonder why the baker would agree to make a cake for a ssm wedding if me didn't believe in ssm. Sort of hypocritical to me.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Some people are "morally" opposed to black or interracial marriage. Doesn't mean they get to treat those groups like second class citizens.

Quoting tapies2324:

Isn't it crazy?? This is supposed to be a free country yet a baker would be forced into doing something he is morally opposed to? Thats sad.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Cause the baker needs the money or lives in a state where GLBT is included in non-discrimination laws.

Quoting tapies2324:

I wonder why the baker would agree to make a cake for a ssm wedding if me didn't believe in ssm. Sort of hypocritical to me.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
depends on the contract they have.
RLT2
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM

NO, unless they had a legitimate fear that the baker would "sabotage" their cake somehow. I have no idea how you could prove that though.

bi-polarmommy
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM

if the baker is still making the cake for them, then no, they shouldn't cancel their order

if the baker is refusing to make their cake, then yes, they have every right to cancel without pay

tapies2324
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM
If i was the baker i would have just been too busy to make the cake for them if that is how I felt about ssm. That way they go elsewhere and I would keep my conscience clear.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting tapies2324:

He has no choice refusing is illegal.  Should he have to disclose to gay couples he is anit-gay so they can chose whether or not to use his services?  

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM
No. A contract is a contract
mandaday
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Nope. So long as the banker fulfills his end of the contract, he is free to support whatever stances he wants. Unless the contract states they can cancel that late, of course. But I can understand if they don't recommend his service to friends.
tapies2324
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
My point was that i dont feel it is right for the government to be so involved in our lives. The business owner should be allowed to run his business as he sees fit.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Some people are "morally" opposed to black or interracial marriage. Doesn't mean they get to treat those groups like second class citizens.

Quoting tapies2324:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting tapies2324:

Aslen
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Huh?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN