Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Catholic School Asks Female Students to Stop Cursing... but Not Male Students

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 55 Replies

Catholic School Asks Female Students to Stop Cursing... but Not Male Students

February 3, 2013 By 36 Comments

Queen of Peace High School, a Catholic school in New Jersey, just instituted a "no cursing" pledge in an effort to curb foul language used by the students.

But only girls had to take it:

Girls at Queen of Peace High School take the ‘No Swearing' pledge (Elizabeth Lara - NorthJersey.com)

Female students... stood up during homeroom Friday, raised their right hands, and recited a pledge in unison.

"I do solemnly promise not to use profanities of any kind within the walls and properties of Queen of Peace High School. In other words, I swear not to swear. So help me God," they said.

The same campaign does not encourage male students to participate, but administrators are suggesting the boys lessen their use of foul language in front of female students.

Lori Flynn, the teacher in charge of this campaign, said the goal is for the girls to "act more like ladies," and the principal Brother Larry Lavallee agrees, adding that "girls have the foulest language."

One of the male students quoted in an article explained that he just couldn't help himself when it came to swearing:

"It's unattractive when girls have potty mouths," said Nicholas Recarte, 16.

A pitcher on the school's baseball team, Recarte said he can't help shouting obscenities from the mound after mishaps, and he didn't expect that to change.

But he doesn't have to take the pledge. Meanwhile, the same can't be said about the girls who pitch for the softball team.

How's that for hypocrisy?

Teachers said they hoped that if the girls focused on cleaning up their speech on campus for a month, their improved manners would take hold and rub off on the boys. They timed the initiative to Catholic Schools Week and the old-fashioned romance of Valentine's Day, promising lollipops as rewards and handing out pins showing a red slash through a pair of pink lips.

Putting the potential behavior change of the boys on the success of the female students puts another weight on the girls who participate in the program. The school denies the existence of a double standard, even when it so obviously is there. This program promotes gender inequality like only the Catholic Church can.

I understand why schools may want to curb swearing, but to make a policy against it based on gender is ridiculous. This program (which I generally think is unnecessary because swearing happens and nobody fucking cares) should be an option to all students or no students. The wedge it places between male and female students enforces a gender hierarchy that should no longer exist.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IntactivistMama
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM
7 moms liked this
Fuck that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mandaday
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM
How can they claim that there is no double standard?
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I am Catholic, went to Catholic school, and all I have to say is of course they did.sunglasses mini

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM
3 moms liked this
As a private institution they have every right to make the girls feel inferior to the boys and teach them how to feel guilt as a result of other people's actions.
lga1965
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM

WEll, they thinking like they are living in the 19th Century and they are Catholic. What do you expect? LOL.

How about BOTH sexes take the pledge?

I, for one, am getting very sick of cursing. Its like the "latest fad". Macho . Stupid.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Why would this surprise anyone?

I don't like to hear any kid swear, male of female, but it seems to be more acceptable for a male.  And I will agree that girls can indeed be far worse than guys.

No one needs to swear and most should not be doing it.  Only makes them look a fool.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM
5 moms liked this
I found this insulting for the male students. Are they too uncivilized or stupid to control their language? Not holding them to the same standard implies so.
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Nice.  "Boys will be boys", right?  Once again making girls responsible for the behavior of boys. 

punky3175
by Punky on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Quoting jessilin0113:

Nice.  "Boys will be boys", right?  Once again making girls responsible for the behavior of boys. 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Shaking my DAMN mother fucking head at the hypocrisy of these people. Smart women wake up and realize they are being treated like second class citizens and leave the church.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)