Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blind Chicago skateboarder quiets all doubters in amazing video

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM
  • 2 Replies

Meet Tommy Carroll. He has been skating since he was ten, but has been blind since the age of two

EyEFORcE via Vimeo

Meet Tommy Carroll. He has been skating since he was ten, but has been blind since the age of two

A blind skateboarder who performs tricks and turns by using only his sense of sound is stunning the world with an online video.

Tommy Carroll, left without his sight since he was two-years-old after being born with cancer of the retinas, is attracting global attention for his remarkable feats on a half-pipe.

SKATE5N_4_WEB

EyEFORcE via Vimeo

Carroll was born with retinal cancer, depriving him of sight but not of his desire to skateboard.

In the video, shot near his Chicago home which now has more than 500,000 views on Vimeo, he says: "All I do in skateboarding is based on sound. I'm constantly using the sound of my wheels to check if there's anything in my way and get my sense of direction, all that kind of stuff.

Carroll, a sophomore student majoring in journalism and international studies at Northwestern University, started skating when was 10.

SKATE5N_5_WEB

EyEFORcE via Vimeo

Carroll had the opportunity to meet skating legend Tony Hawk.

He says he faced many doubters, who told him that a "blind kid" would never be able to skate, when he first took his board into the park.

But his determination won out and two years ago led to him skating with legend Tony Hawk, who had heard about him and decided to come to his home for the day.

SKATE5N_1_WEB

EyEFORcE via Vimeo

Carroll now plans to set up a college skateboarding club to promote the use of protective gear.

He now plans to set up a college skateboarding club to promote the use of protective gear.

In the video, Carroll adds: "I think everybody should know that everything happens for a reason and there's always a way to overcome an obstacle if you really want it enough."

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Amazing kid! 

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Awesome!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured