Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Calif. preschool closing after alleged sex between 4- and 5-year-olds

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 60 Replies

A California preschool is reportedly closing its doors amidst allegations of sexual activity among several of its students.

A California preschool is reportedly shutting down after disturbing allegations of sexual activity among several of its 4- and 5-year-old students emerged.

First Lutheran Church of Carson School is closing midsemester amid reports that two boys received oral sex from a 5-year-old girl on school grounds, according to KABC-TV.

Attorney Greg Owen, who is representing some of the children's families, said the sexual acts took place at nap time, at a school playground and at an outside bathroom.

"It all boils down to a lack of supervision," Owen told ABC News. "There were times when teachers would let aides in the room for hours at a time to watch the kids. During nap time, the aides would be sleeping, and the children would have been molesting each other during this time."

Owen is representing several parents who are planning to file a lawsuit against the Carson, Calif., school, which has allegedly been cited by the California Department of Social Services for "at least one sexual incident that involved young students."

School officials told KABC that its decision to close comes after the school director resigned due to personal reasons and has nothing to do with the allegations.

Parent Richard McCarthy says that's far from the truth.

He said his son received oral sex from the young girl on multiple occasions.

PRESCHOOL1_WEB

Richard McCarthy says his son received oral sex from a 5-year-old girl multiple times.

"He told me about all the bad things that girl had been doing to him," McCarthy told the local station. "It went down in the classroom, it went down in the bathroom and it went down out on the playground."

At least one other boy allegedly received oral sex from the same girl.

"Their lives will be ruined in many ways," Owen told ABC News of the children. "And we know there are many more (victims)."

Parents, meanwhile, are struggling to find new schools for their kids.

"There's no way I can just take him to another school and be that parent that just lets a predator loose," McCarthy said of his son. "How else do you explain it?"

McCarthy said he spoke to three other parents who are worried about sending their kids elsewhere.

"Parents are saying, ‘My child is now a predator. Now how can I let him go to another school?’" he explained.

"There were many children lying there, and they watched these acts. In our business and in psychological terms, that's sexualizing a child at a young age."

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Des10ed2b
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM
4 moms liked this

oh man. there are so many things wrong with this story. yes, it was wrong that these kids were not properly supervised so that this happened even once, let alone multiple times!

but my main concern rests with this little girl! where the hell did she learn this to want to offer it to multiple boys? if this was a 1 time thing during a case of "i will show you mine if you show me yours" i would say, "okay. sad, definitely need to have a talk. but, ultimately, probably just a random idea." multiple times though? yeah, this little girl is being abused badly AND on a regular basis. This little girl is going to have a LIFE-TIME of problems and will probably never be "normal"

as for these boys? they dont know any better. the little girl offered, they agreed out of curiosity, discovered it felt good and just kept agreeing when she offered. They dont understand the weight and severity of the issue. yes, they are likely going to have some problems, but no where near as bad as the little girl. 

and i agree. it is going to be REALLY hard for any of these kids to go to a new daycare. the teachers at that place are going to have a ridiculously hard time finding jobs (if they can find one at all) even if they were a good teacher and not at all involved with the children in this group. 

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM
8 moms liked this
"Parents are saying, ‘My child is now a predator. Now how can I let him go to another school?’" he explained."

This bothered me so much. This little boys are not predators. I wouldn't even call the little girl a predator. They are 4 & 5 years old. They don't understand!! These parents suck.
lga1965
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
The first thing I thought was HOW did she know what oral sex was.....unless she saw it or was abused ? This is horrifying. I want to know why it happened more than once. The adults had to know and should have stopped it right away.
Sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM
11 moms liked this

*seriously regrets reading this post*

RLT2
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

WTF? There are so many things wrong here, not the least of which is parents referring to their 4/5 yr old children as "predators"!!

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM
3 moms liked this

This happens because Religion is not allowed in the school. Oh wait. Nevermind.

[Edit]After actually reading the Article. I wish I hadn't. Poor kids.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Wow.

The little girl, if this is all true, has some serious issues that I hope are addressed.

As well as all the children, those involved and otherwise.

Right now, I am trying to process this.  Not sure what the hell else to say.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Wow

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

"Parents are saying, ‘My child is now a predator. Now how can I let him go to another school?’" he explained."

This bothered me so much. This little boys are not predators. I wouldn't even call the little girl a predator. They are 4 & 5 years old. They don't understand!! These parents suck.

I thought the word predator was strange, but they are going to have to let the new school know what happened.  They also will need to let the parents of any children their children have contact with know what happened.

My child become friends with a boy around this age and the boy had been molested by another boy.  His mother let me know what happened even though her child was innocent of any wrong doing, she understood that her son is at greater risk of molesting another child. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

I thought the word predator was strange, but they are going to have to let the new school know what happened.  They also will need to let the parents of any children their children have contact with know what happened.

My child become friends with a boy around this age and the boy had been molested by another boy.  His mother let me know what happened even though her child was innocent of any wrong doing, she understood that her son is at greater risk of molesting another child. 

That had to be so hard for the mother, letting others know what happened to her child.  I commend her for doing so, however.

I don't like how the parents have used that word either.  It sets up their children for some thing that may very well never happen.  They can't go forward after this with that mind set.  I realize that, often, children who are molested do move on to do the same to others but not all do.  I pray that these children are reached and helped and healed as much as possible so that they can live a productive, happy and secure life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN