Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you have an issue discussing topics from blogs?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

If the author is blogging about actual news stories which can be backed up with other links if the reader feels like looking for them, why would anyone have a problem posting, discussing, debating or forming their own opinions?

I post things from many places- places I visit every day. Some are blogs, some are news sites and some are archives. Why would the site I copy and paste from matter if the topic can be corroborated?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandaday
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM
If any source can be shown to be biased, someone who disagrees will use that to discredit what is being said. What is funny is those who do this most often are generally the same ones who will post from other biased sources.
I personally don't care. If a topic is interesting, post it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM

You raise some good questions.

I see, often in this group, women will automatically dismiss something posted from a blog.  No action on their part to either read what is written, do a little looking themselves and forming their own opinion.  Just dismiss it right off the bat.

Much can be lost by doing that.

ethans_momma06
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a problem with it! I find almost everything worthy for debate!

It's important to note a sources bias, but many times.... that doesn't inherently discredit the info. It DOES mean you should be skeptical of it, probe the info- but you have to be able to descredit it in some other way than yelling 'ITS BIASED!!!'.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I can't imagine why this would be a problem.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM
As long as its presented as a blog, an opinion, and not fact I have no problem with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Depends on the blog and the language used.

When a particular blog presents facts and then their opinion, I'm ok with that.  When a blogger distorts the facts or takes things out of context, then I have an issue with that particular blog/ger.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I have no problem with it.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I have no problem with a blog it it has a credible reference..or is merely a story from another site I deem credible.  I may even be willing to investigate the info if I am interested in the topic.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM

To me it is entirely dependant on the blog itself.  I dislike opinion based ones where the blogger rants incessantly about his or her view on a subject.  The topic can be discussed I just dont think the need to link to that blogger is necessary other than to say "this person was discussing this issue"

If you link it as proof of your argument...then to me you look silly.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this

The real *problem* isn't the source as much as the lack of reading comprehension, ability to infer, discernment and the like.

It seems there are so many who cannot recognize the difference between opinion and fact. Who possess no ability to recognize a reputable source, never mind factual information as opposed to sensationalist, ideological crap meant to reinforce previously held opinion instead of to inform and to challenge. Or worse, someone's spouting of hearsay, poorly constructed opinion and the passing on of general myth, misinformation and folklore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN