Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you have an issue discussing topics from blogs?

Posted by   + Show Post

If the author is blogging about actual news stories which can be backed up with other links if the reader feels like looking for them, why would anyone have a problem posting, discussing, debating or forming their own opinions?

I post things from many places- places I visit every day. Some are blogs, some are news sites and some are archives. Why would the site I copy and paste from matter if the topic can be corroborated?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Replies (11-18):
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this
As a jumping off point, no.
It's when the blogger's words are presented as fact and bias is not recognized that bothers me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I don't care for blogs as a ztarting point for a discussion. I don't like when people refer to them as "the article" because I think most people don't understnad that it isnt an article, rather someones personal opinon.

Id rather a poster share thier own opinion, maybe citing ghe blog as the source of inspiration but thats just my personal preference. I like cm because I like hearing from you guys...if I wanted to read blogs I would.
stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I post from blogs sometimes but I also accept that the integrity of the blogger is an issue. Often times many things on CM is like a blog post. Opinions by others are up for debate though and as such make for some great discussions. A blog post is considered an article in the world as of late and is as much biased as some traditional journalism. It is seldom that both sides are presented in either an op ed or a traditional piece. Just because an article shows facts does not make it less biased to the facts it decides to present or the way they are presented.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I personally have no problem with it as long as the Op clearly states that this is a blog, someone's opinion and not fact.

Methinks you have been engaged in a difference of "opinions" between you and another here?

lga1965
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I have no problem with Blogs that have facts backing up the statements. I do have a problem with opinion pieces/Blogs  that could be completely false due to the personal agenda of the Blogger since there no sources or references .

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Quoting FrogSalad:

Depends on the blog and the language used.

When a particular blog presents facts and then their opinion, I'm ok with that.  When a blogger distorts the facts or takes things out of context, then I have an issue with that particular blog/ger.

This.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM
No problems whatsoever. I can even debate a completely opinion piece and enjoy myself.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

It totally depends on how it is used.  If someone says an opinion is a fact, I get frustrated.  If someone says "what do you think of this opinion?  I agree and here's why" that is perfectly acceptable.  After all, the only thing to debate is opinions, although unfortunately many people think that facts are debateable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN