Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Nazi Goebbels' Step Sons Are Secret Billionaires

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

Nazi Goebbels' Descendants Are Secret Billionaires

Slave labor helped build a sprawling business empire

Joseph Goebbels with his wife Magda, their six children, and Magda's son from an earlier marriage, Harald. Today, Harald's descendents are some of the richest people in Germany.
Joseph Goebbels with his wife Magda, their six children, and Magda's son from an earlier marriage, Harald. Today, Harald's descendents are some of the richest people in Germany. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1978-086-03,_Joseph_Goebbels_mit_Familie.jpg)
By Mark Russell, Newser Staff

Posted Feb 3, 2013 2:50 PM CST

(Newser) - In the dying days of Nazi Germany, Joseph Goebbels and his wife Magda killed their six children with cyanide in Hitler's underground bunker and committed suicide. Goebbels' step-son, Harald-then a prisoner of war in Benghazi-survived the war, and like his half-brother Herbert became one of the most successful industrialists in Germany. Today their children and other relatives live on, many of them as billionaires, reports Bloomberg in a long feature article.

In 1954, Harald and Herbet inherited the vast business empire created by their father, Guenther Quandt, built largely from supplying the German war machine. Indeed, from 1940-1945, his companies employed 50,000 prisoners of war and forced civilian laborers. Most of the family's wealth has been managed by private investment trusts since 1981, and none of the descendants are active in the day-to-day business of the offices. "They have to live with the name. It's part of the history," said Joachim Scholtyseck, the historian hired by the family to investigate their Nazi history. Ironically, one daughter of Harald converted to Judaism in New York at age 24, after marrying the son of a concentration camp survivor.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

This is reaching a bit. Their father was Guenther Quandt, not Goebbels.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Um, what a misleading title.

Are you bored or did you just copy from another source without actually reading the article first?

IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LindaClement:

This is reaching a bit. Their father was Guenther Quandt, not Goebbels.

I agree, I don't like the article's title. Think I'll change it...

IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting talia-mom:

Are you bored or did you just copy from another source without actually reading the article first?

I read it, didn't agree with the title of the article but put it up anyway. I've changed it now.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM

It's obviously the headline from the piece.

Headline writers, I have noticed, are often illiterate morons...

Quoting talia-mom:

rfurlongg
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Many, many people profited from war. Guenthers descendants are not unique. I am wondering if the author of this piece simply hoped to inform or if he had other motives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I'm not sure I quite get the discussion here...

He was the step son of a Nazi and he profited from war? Lots of people profit from war. Are people upset because his step dad was a Nazi?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm not sure I quite get the discussion here...

He was the step son of a Nazi and he profited from war? Lots of people profit from war. Are people upset because his step dad was a Nazi?

I think either that or that the money was made with slave labor. I don't know...

I found it interesting because I didn't know about Harold.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I'm not really into inherited guilt there is enough of that in Germany. One of my Graduate Instructors was the son of a Nazi Doctor that I'm sure did horrible things, My instructor was born in 1944. He grew up without his parents because they escaped Germany and left him with an Aunt. He just happens to be a millionaire because he invented the software that runs the accu chek diabetes meters and Germany protects the inventor, meaning he gets all of the royalties from that program and not the company he was working for at the time. - his wealth has nothing to do with his father. Well there is a bit of creepiness since his education was paid for by the Pfizer company or Bayer, I don't remember which. His father worked for one of those companies. He didn't talk about it much. He taught my Expert System programming class.  Just to say there are lots of folks that benefited from the atrocities and that will never make them ok.

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I don't get where the debate is, many of my own relatives living in Germany at the time of the war were either forced into labor or profitted from the war and still live on, as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN