Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Farmers

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 113 Replies

Ok, I saw several posts on facebook last night about the Dodge Ram commercials quoting Paul Harvey. One person said they loved it. Their father was a farmer. Another person said it was the stupidest commercial they had ever seen. I know growing up, another town would call us farmers as a put down. So, do you like the commercial? Do you think farmers in this country get the respect they deserve?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Probably not considering we know several farmers and their kids refuse to take over the business. If your kids don't even see it as important what chance do you have for the rest of society.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Paul Harvey!  Thank you!  I knew the voice but couldn't place it!

I liked the commercial.  I thought it was nice.

Tatiana7
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I cried. My grandfather was a farmer.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM
6 moms liked this

I loved the commercial.  One of the best I have yet to ever see.  I get they were promoting the Dodge Ram but the overall message was powerful and delivered well.

Farmers do not receive the respect they deserve.

LindaClement
by Linda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Deserve?

What people 'deserve' is ... well, nothing, actually.

Do they get what they earn? Sometimes -- not usually any thanks to government or marketing board meddling.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Quoting furbabymum:

Probably not considering we know several farmers and their kids refuse to take over the business. If your kids don't even see it as important what chance do you have for the rest of society.

I understand that not all children will want to take over the business, the farm.  I don't know that every farming family expects this.  I'm sure most would like for this to be the case but not every one is cut out to farm and do well with the business end of it.

Even so, the respect for farmers is not nearly what it should be.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I don't think folks outside of Kansas Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa - Indiana and southern Illinois would really get this commercial. Also many probably didn't catch the Paul Harvey Reference.

I like the commercial - well exept my grandpa drove an F150 that is still used on our family farm today.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LindaClement:

Deserve?

What people 'deserve' is ... well, nothing, actually.

Do they get what they earn? Sometimes -- not usually any thanks to government or marketing board meddling.

You do bring up a good point, with the word 'deserve'.

My previous posts would suggest that any and all farmers automatically deserve that respect, regardless of the individual and circumstances.

Point taken.  

Although, I do hold a great deal of respect for the hard work necessary.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mikiemom:

I don't think folks outside of Kansas Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa - Indiana and southern Illinois would really get this commercial. Also many probably didn't catch the Paul Harvey Reference.

I like the commercial - well exept my grandpa drove an F150 that is still used on our family farm today.

Born and raised in Cali (I know, I know......) and live in WA state.  I got it. ;)

LindaClement
by Linda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM
3 moms liked this

That comment made me think of this: 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I loved the commercial.  One of the best I have yet to ever see.  I get they were promoting the Dodge Ram but the overall message was powerful and delivered well.

Farmers do not receive the respect they deserve.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured