Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think of the Scientology ad that ran during the Super Bowl?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM
  • 29 Replies

Happy Little Scientology Ad Can’t Hide the Crazy Underneath (VIDEO)

Posted by Ericka SĂłuter on February 4, 2013

scientology

Among the most surprising Super Bowl ads? The 60-second commercial by the Church of Scientology. The $8 million commercial only aired in select major markets, but it had a big impact. Not because it was weird -- which is what you might expect from the controversial religion -- but because it wasn't. 

As images of attractive, happy, seemingly normal people flash on screen, a narrator beckons, "To the curious, the inquisitive, the seekers of knowledge. To the ones who just want to know about life, about the universe, about yourself ... Not cute questions, big questions, ones that matter. To the rebels, the artists, the free thinkers, and the innovators who care less about labels and more about truth."

But this feel-good spot can't hide the real truth.

The narrator dares you to think for yourself, make up your own mind, and defy critics who just don't understand. And the ad is definitely visually appealing. It has even been compared to Apple's 1997 "Think Different" campaign. However, even that can't make people forget some of Scientology's most bizarre factoids.

1. It was founded by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard who believed negative emotions were caused by things called Body Thetans and devised a way to get rid of them.
  2. They believe we are ruled by a galactic, alien overlord named Xenu.
  3. They require quiet or silent births. That means the mama-to-be must not utter a word.
  4. The church insists members that live on their compounds can leave anytime they want, but "defectors" tell a different story. Those that once lived in Scientology compounds claim they had to drive cars through gates to escape and were then relentlessly pursued. 
  5. After leaving the religion, director Paul Haggis said, "I was in a cult for 34 years. Everyone else could see it. I don't know why I couldn't."

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE SCIENTOLOGY AD

What do you think of this Scientology ad?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Internally inconsistent.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I would never be able to get pass factoid number one...I hate to think that John Travolta has anything to do with that cult ...I like to think he is smarter than that :-(

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Of course.  All forms of darkness present as happy, good, desirable things. 

Laughing at the idea of silent births. My undrugged home births sure weren't silent.  They were a lot of heavy work, and sounded so.

foxfroggy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, I doubt Hubbard believed any of the moronic $cientology beliefs. The "religion" was a result of an alcohol driven bet that he could make a ton of money by inventing a religion. $cientology is a dangerous cult and this ad is typical of their pretense of being normal.

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Unfortunately the video seems to be unavailable. I will have to go look for it.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM

The ad is a lie.

You are not free to think for yourself within that cult

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

This.

Quoting Sekirei:

The ad is a lie.

You are not free to think for yourself within that cult

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Wrong church. You're thinking Christian science.

Quoting turtle68:

I would never be able to get pass factoid number one...I hate to think that John Travolta has anything to do with that cult ...I like to think he is smarter than that :-(

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:03 PM
It looks like all of you have confused Scientology with the church of science.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM
There was a Scientology ad? Did it run here in shit-kicking Texas?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)