Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Was this kind or cruel?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 29 Replies

http://thestir.cafemom.com/love_sex/150508/bride_whose_father_died_gets?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=fanpage

Maaaan, viral wedding videos are a dime a dozen these days. And everyone seems to think their First Dance, Mother/Son Dance, Father/Daughter Dance was The Best and is destined to be a YouTube sensation. (Even it was dimly, drunkenly shot upright with an iPhone.) But every now and then, you find a video of a wedding dance that is heartachingly beautiful and tearjerking. That's probably the only way to describe this one that has been making the rounds online since July ...

When bride Andrea's father died before he could walk her down the aisle, her brother decided to step in and prepare an amazing surprise for her. He recorded the song "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisleand played it for Andrea as she danced with family and friends instead of her late dad. Better bust out the tissues, cuz it's about to get blubbery in here ...

So heart-wrenching ... That could not have been easy for Andrea. But how amazing is it that her brother did that for her? Just like the cake-cutting or the tossing of the bouquet, the father-daughter dance is one of those wedding traditions everyone looks forward to. And instead of trying to brush it under the rug, Andrea's brother created an incredible memory for his sister, the bride, and a beautiful tribute to their late father. It truly was an incredible, unforgettable surprise.

So what do you think?  Do think it would have just been easier on the bride to just skip over the father daughter dance?   It feels like she may not have been prepared for it.  Maybe she was, I don't know.  I just found myself hurting for her.  

My father passed away a little over a year ago.  Maybe it's still just raw.  I know that I would not have been happy to have such a heart wrenching moment included in my wedding day/reception.  His absense would have been right there without it being so painfully made into a moment.  

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Unfortunately I can't see the video, but from what I read, I think it was a wonderful gesture.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Well they certainly should have asked her at least.

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM

She essentially sobs through the entire thing as guests at her wedding come up and dance with her.  

Quoting Euphoric:

Unfortunately I can't see the video, but from what I read, I think it was a wonderful gesture.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it was lovely.  I went to a wedding where the father had passed recently and all her brothers took her for a spin around the dance floor to his favourite songs...it was touching, sad, lovely and funny all rolled in one.  For the memory of her father...priceless.  He was part of the ceremony the whole time.

Im more of a closure type of person and would see the gesture as them trying to include my father...I think I would be more hurt if they tried to ignore the fact that he wasnt :-(

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Did it seem to make her happy?

Quoting katy_kay08:

She essentially sobs through the entire thing as guests at her wedding come up and dance with her.  

Quoting Euphoric:

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
katy_kay08
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly can't tell.  I guess the fact that it was posted online should be enough for me to realize she was okay with it.   My gut reaction was just to sob right along with her.  I hate when that happens.  :) 

Quoting Euphoric:

Did it seem to make her happy?

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Euphoric:

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

That was incredibly beautiful and heart-wrenching. I don't think it was cruel, I think it really exemplified what a beautiful family they are. I think it was a lot to deal with but it was dealt with gracefully and sweetly. 

Of course, my dad is still alive. Perhaps I'd feel differently otherwise. 

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

see I think I was just being a big giant baby when I made the post.  It was beautiful.  I just hurt for her.  

Quoting krysstizzle:

That was incredibly beautiful and heart-wrenching. I don't think it was cruel, I think it really exemplified what a beautiful family they are. I think it was a lot to deal with but it was dealt with gracefully and sweetly. 

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

lol

No, I feel ya. I sobbed buckets, I could almost feel her heart breaking. :(

Quoting katy_kay08:

see I think I was just being a big giant baby when I made the post.  It was beautiful.  I just hurt for her.  

Quoting krysstizzle:

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I think it was an amazing gesture.

That being said this is going to be the skeptic coming out in me but this seems very staged and I have not seen a wedding shot to the cinematic degree of this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)