Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Wife Beating In Islam, No More Than 10 Blows!

Posted by   + Show Post

Maybe one day women will be able to have basic human rights. Do you think it can happen or do you think customs that are older than dirt will continue forever? 

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Sometimes religion and culture are hand in glove.  This is the case in many Islamic cultures.  i find it appalling that anyone would try and gloss over the abuse of women just because they don't want Islam to be involved.  That is disgusting.

We will never have basic human rights as long as people find something to use as excuse.  It does not matter what faith does it or if it is faith/culture.  We must oppose it long and loud.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Quoting greenie63:

Another video

lmao

"wife beating etiquette"

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I wondering if this is a cultural thing in some areas and it gives people the impression that all women that are Muslim are treated this way?

There are some Christian men that beat their wives in the name of religion. That most certainly doesn't mean that all Christian women are treated poorly.   

Quoting stacymomof2:

Thank you.  It is all about those gross Muslims this week, I guess. :(

I have never known a Muslim man who has ever lifted a finger against his wife.  I'm sure there are some that do, unfortunately it is a problem everywhere.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

That's strange. None of the Muslim women I know are treated like dirt. They are cherished and treated quite wonderfully.

Quoting Ladybugmama86:

Did you know that in GA (savannah) you can beat your wife on Sunday on the courthouse steps, as long as you beat her with a rod no bigger then your thumb? Its in the citys rules.

But I do feel very bad for these women, but all islamic women are treated like dirt and a lot of muslim women that I have known.... It is very sad.

Have you ever seen a Catholic priest or Christian minister make a video explaining how to beat a wife?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Quoting stacymomof2:

Do you know that MEMRI is a hate group?  I think it's odd that a prof would be showing videos from a hate group.  

MEMRI has been caught by reputable organizations mistranslating and selectively editing videos.  

History

According to its website, founded in February 1998 by former/current Israeli intelligence officers "to inform the debate over U.S. policy in the Middle East, MEMRI is an independent. MEMRI's headquarters is located in Washington, DC with branch offices in Berlin, London, and Jerusalem, where MEMRI also maintains its Media Center. MEMRI research is translated to English, German, Hebrew, Italian, French, Spanish, Turkish, and Russian."

MEMRI's stance is that it is opposed to Islamic fundamentalism, not Islam itself, although the integrity of this position may be questioned because of links on MEMRI's website to certain evangelical Christian organizations who take a harder line on Islam. Yigal Carmon, MEMRI's founder, is a former advisor on terrorism to the Israeli Prime Ministers, Yitzhak Shamir and Yitzhak Rabin, so he actually worked for both Labor and Likud governments.

MEMRI has gained currency with most pro-Israel writers, as well as right-wing publications. For example, New York Times writer Thomas Friedman, an influential foreign affairs columnist, has used MEMRI translations a number of times in his columns. MEMRI is cited in several publications, such as The Times, The Washington Times, The Weekly Standard, The Jerusalem Post, The National Review, The Toronto Sun, Wall Street Journal, Libertad, FrontPageMagazine, Columbia Journalism Review, Associated Press, etc. [4]

Threatening Critics

In November 2004, MEMRI threatened Middle East scholar Juan Cole (Univ. of Michigan) with a SLAPP lawsuit unless he retracted some of his claims.[5]

Nature of the charges pace Cole:

"Colonel Carmon's letter makes three charges: 1) that I alleged that MEMRI receives $60 million a year for its operations. 2) That I alleged that MEMRI cherry-picks the vast Arab press for articles that make the Arabs look bad. 3) That I said that MEMRI was affiliated with the Likud Party."

Cole replies:

1. I think he would find that in democratic countries, in any case, a dispute over an organization's level of funding would be laughed out of court as a basis for a libel action. In fact, I am giggling as I write this.
  2. "I continue to maintain that MEMRI is selective and biased against the Arab press, and that it highlights pieces that cast Arabs, especially committed Muslims, in a negative light."
  3. "I did not allege that MEMRI or Colonel Carmon are "affiliated" with the Likud Party. What I said was that MEMRI functions as a PR campaign for Likud Party goals."

Issues of reliability and veracity

MEMRI is operated by a group closely associated with the Israeli intelligence organizations. Now, in an article in Haaretz, we find that the Israeli Army has sought to plant stories about "terrorism" in the press, and

"Psychological warfare officers were in touch with Israeli journalists covering the Arab world, gave them translated articles from Arab papers (which were planted by the [Israel Defense Forces] IDF) and pressed the Israeli reporters to publish the same news here." --Amos Harel, IDF reviving psychological warfare unit, Haaretz, January 25, 2005.

This should raise a question or two about the reliability and veracity of the stories peddled by MEMRI.

This is what Prof. Juan Cole had to say about this:

"So is MEMRI, which translates articles from the Arabic press into English for thousands of US subscribers, in any way involved in all this? Its director formerly served in… Israeli military intelligence. How much of what we "know" from "Arab sources" about "Hizbullah terrorism" was simply made up by this fantasy factory in Tel Aviv?
As someone who reads the Arabic press quite a lot, this sort of revelation is extremely disturbing.
I also saw an allegation that British military intelligence had planted stories in the US press about Saddam's Iraq.
You begin to wonder how much of what you think you know is just propaganda manufactured by some bored colonel. No wonder post-Baath Iraq looks nothing like what we were led to to expect by the press, including the Arab press!" [6]

Another assessment:

If you rely on MEMRI for your knowledge of Arab discourse, you are really not informed. Arab public opinion, based on MEMRI's releases, is reduced or caricatured to either Bin Laden fans or Bushfans, while Arab public opinion is mosty a fan of neither people. --As'ad AbuKhalil[7]
Although widely used in the mainstream media as a source of information on the Arab world, it is as trustworthy as Julius Streicher's Der Sturmer was on the Jewish world. --Norman Finkelstein [8]

Wafa Sultan

Los Angeles based Syrian/American Psychiatrist Wafa Sultan appeared on an al-Jazeera television show opposite Dr. Ibrahim al-Khouly, a lecturer at Cairo's Al-Azhar University. Memri offered a heavily edited version of the show, and mistranslated several of the exchanges, making it appear that al-Khouly had issued a death fatwa against Sultan. Wafa Sultan became known as someone who had her life threatened because of her "Clash of Civilizations" point of view.

It turns out that Sultan had appeared on a daytime al Jazeera show, roughly equivalent to Jerry Springer, that Western Educated Dr. Ibrahim al-Khouly had not issued a fatwa, and as he is not a recognized Mufti, had he issued a fatwa, it would not be considered in any way, authoritarian.

A secularist blog covering topics broadly related to MENA, named Aqoul, took a tape of the whole show, and translated it, making it available in a PDF file: Transcript Translation: al-Jazeera - The Opposite Direction (26/02/2006). Posts on Aqoul, as well as one on the Winds of Change blog offer a great deal of insight into the distortions:

Quoting greenie63:

This was from a conversation I had with one of my professors today. We were discussing human rights and should they apply to everyone, which we  responded of course. Well then he showed us these 2 videos. This is real and not bashing, it's really happening. The question is how can it stop or will it? 

Quoting punky3175:

Wow - it really is Muslim bashing week up in here.

They certainly are not are not a hate group and they serve a very valuable function, for example:

http://www.memri.org/report/en/print6892.htm

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

OP, show me the verse in the Qur'an that says this. 

Thanks.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Quoting godsgirl26:

I feel so bad for these women. This is one reason I DO NOT ReSPECT men like this.

I dont need you to feel bad for me. This whole thing is bullshit.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Quoting punky3175:

Wow - it really is Muslim bashing week up in here.

Yup. Once one starts it, they all have to jump in. Idiots.

I love how people who are not of the religion try to teach others about the religion. 

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I've not watched the videos but I am curious, is this person citing Quran passages as a reason to beat your wife or is it a cultural thing?

No, he isnt, because there arent any. I wish people would stop google searching extremists and holding up what they say as what Islam teaches.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Well, if we were to use the logic of some of the women on here, then it would mean that all christians beat their wives. Since a small minority do, then they all must do it, kwim?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I wondering if this is a cultural thing in some areas and it gives people the impression that all women that are Muslim are treated this way?

There are some Christian men that beat their wives in the name of religion. That most certainly doesn't mean that all Christian women are treated poorly.   

Quoting stacymomof2:

Thank you.  It is all about those gross Muslims this week, I guess. :(

I have never known a Muslim man who has ever lifted a finger against his wife.  I'm sure there are some that do, unfortunately it is a problem everywhere.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

That's strange. None of the Muslim women I know are treated like dirt. They are cherished and treated quite wonderfully.

Quoting Ladybugmama86:

Did you know that in GA (savannah) you can beat your wife on Sunday on the courthouse steps, as long as you beat her with a rod no bigger then your thumb? Its in the citys rules.

But I do feel very bad for these women, but all islamic women are treated like dirt and a lot of muslim women that I have known.... It is very sad.

tifferie
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Same thing in WV. My dh always jokes that he can't wait until sunday.

Quoting Ladybugmama86:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN