Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Martin Luther King Jr. High School coach shoots attackers

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

(WXYZ) - Police sources tell 7 Action News that a women's basketball coach from Martin Luther King, Jr. Senior High School shot two men who attacked him as he was walking two basketball players to their cars in the school parking lot.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST UPDATES

Police sources say the coach was walking the two girls to their cars when two men allegedly approached and one pulled out a gun and grabbed him by his chain necklace. The coach then pulled out his gun and shot both of them, according to sources.

The man who shot the attackers was 70 years old, according to police.

One of the attackers was found dead in the median on Lafayette Boulevard, and the other was taken to a local hospital, according to police sources. We've learned that both of the men had attended the high school, and one had been recently expelled.

Police sources say the coach has a Concealed Pistol License and is reportedly a reserve police officer. They say he is fully cooperating with authorities.

Crime scene tape could be seen on Lafayette Boulevard and also around the back parking lot of the school near the gym.

Students could be seen being walked to their cars late Friday night.

The Detroit Public Schools issued this statement to 7 Action News:

At approximately 7:30pm DPS Police responded to a call of attempted robbery at Martin Luther King Jr. High School. DPS Police are cooperating with DPD which is handling the lead investigation.

We are very relieved that all students and DPS personnel and representatives involved are safe and were unharmed. Preliminary reports are that shots were fired during an attempted robbery of a member of the coaching team of the school’s girls basketball program by two assailants outside the school. There was one fatality and one injured suspect in serious condition.

The school has many security features which were in place at the time of the incident as well as a full security plan as do all DPS schools. These will be reviewed as the regularly are after any incidents.  There will be counselors available at the school Monday morning for students and faculty members. 

--Steve Wasko, Detroit Public Schools Spokesperson

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Sources tell 7 Action News fatal shooting at Martin Luther King High School may be ruled justified

DETROIT (WXYZ) - Sources are telling 7 Action News that last week's fatal shooting in the parking lot of Martin Luther King, Jr. Senior High School appears to be a justifiable homicide.

Prosecutors will make the final determination after police present their findings.

The shooting happened Friday in the parking lot of the school.

Police say a coach for the girls basketball team was walking two players to their cars after practice when they were approached by two teen boys.

Police say the teens "announced a holdup" and grabbed the coach by his chain necklace and stuck something in his chest. The girls ran as the 70-year-old coach, who is also a reserve police officer, struggled with the teens.

A source tells 7 Action News that on surveillance video, the coach is seen struggling with the teens and then when he is able to get some distance between himself and them, he pulls out his gun and fires at the teens, striking both of them.

Sixteen-year-old Michael Scott was killed.  His body was found in the median of Lafayette Boulevard .

Scott's 15-year-old alleged accomplice in the attempted robbery is listed in serious condition at a local hospital.

At first, a spokesman for Detroit Public Schools said the teens were not currently enrolled in the district. Scott's brother, Calvin Stigall, disputed that and said that a teacher told him his brother was in class on Friday, the day of the attempted robbery and shooting.

Stigall even showed us some of his brother's school work that was dated January 30, 2013.

Late Monday, DPS confirmed that Scott was enrolled as a student at King High School and blamed the confusion on attendance issues.

Police sources say the coach has a Concealed Pistol License and that he is cooperating with the investigation.

Detroit Police are not saying if they found a gun on either teen. If the allegations are true, it's possible they may have been pretending to have a weapon.

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM
5 moms liked this
Here we go again. The coach is a reserve police officer, who has received much more training than the average person. But the gun nuts will use this to promote their agenda. And it seems very reckless to dischage a firearm in close range of two students. Sounds like a robbery. A chain isn't worth losing a life over. The coach has the right to make that decision for himself, but not others.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM
You're right. We will be seeing more of this kind of news frm Candle. This is the second one...it's still early. Gun lovers will love it. But there must be more to the story....

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Here we go again. The coach is a reserve police officer, who has received much more training than the average person. But the gun nuts will use this to promote their agenda. And it seems very reckless to dischage a firearm in close range of two students. Sounds like a robbery. A chain isn't worth losing a life over. The coach has the right to make that decision for himself, but not others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyKBabies
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the coach did what any normal person would. He was protecting the 2 students he was in charge of. The 2 that got shot were dumbasses. Now one is dead & the other might be soon. If someone jumped me & was threatening to shoot, I wouldn't worry about their ages, I'd worry about my life & the lives my kids would have without a mother. That being said, my condolences to the family of the boy that died, I'm sure they never thought his life would turn out like that & I hope the other boy survives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure she's subscribed to some right-wing, gun rights news feed and has decided to share all her daily propaganda with us. Meanwhile, a study in Philadelphia found that those packing heat were 4.5 x more likely to be shot during an altercation.

Quoting lga1965:

You're right. We will be seeing more of this kind of news frm Candle. This is the second one...it's still early. Gun lovers will love it. But there must be more to the story....

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM
3 moms liked this
On a positive note, at least Candle has moved on from her daily Obana tirades.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM
It was stupid. One of those men could have shot back. He risked those students' lives over what? A robbery is not worth engaging in a open gun fight. It'd be different if a physical assault had taken place.

Quoting LoveMyKBabies:

I think the coach did what any normal person would. He was protecting the 2 students he was in charge of. The 2 that got shot were dumbasses. Now one is dead & the other might be soon. If someone jumped me & was threatening to shoot, I wouldn't worry about their ages, I'd worry about my life & the lives my kids would have without a mother. That being said, my condolences to the family of the boy that died, I'm sure they never thought his life would turn out like that & I hope the other boy survives.
lga1965
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM
True ! ;-)

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

On a positive note, at least Candle has moved on from her daily Obana tirades.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM

So he's a lucky shot. This one defied the odds. 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Candle I just don't get how you can reconcile being so anti-choice and so pro-gun at that same time boggles the mind.

Oh and how many times are  you going to post this same story?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN