Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Just A Dad....

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 40 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let your child attend a birthday party without a Mom there, and with just the Dad in charge?

Options:

Yes, in all circumstances

No, in all circumstances

Yes, as long as it's not a slumber party

Other just because we have to have other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

....so what do you do?

I had a client call me who wants to have a party.  She is nervous about the party because she has a business where she is "on call" and may not be able to be at the party if she gets called in to work.  Her husband will be there for his daughter if she is not, so there will be an adult, but it would be Dad instead of Mom.  She is afraid that people will not want their children to come to a party without a Mom and just a Dad.  I have tried to reassure her that this is not an issue (I have done lots of parties where Dads are in control, not Moms, and some kids who don't have a Mom) but she remains nervous.  She said you hear so much about inappropriate behavior with men that she fears the other Moms might not want their kids to come without a Mom there.

So...I'm gonna do a poll and am hoping to also get some responses as to how and why you voted.  Do you care if your kids go to a birthday party with a Dad in charge and no Mom?  Does it make a difference if it's a slumber party?  

Thanks in advance for the responses.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I voted yes. My kids usually only go to parties of families we know well, and in the case of it being a classmate we don't know well, I stay at the part with her. Many other parents do as well. (my oldest is 7)

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I said yes, in all circumstances, with the stipulation that I know and trust the family enough (which, if I would leave them with mom, I do). 

gcecelie
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Other because if it is my son staying the night at a boys house and they are camping outside or something, I would expect the Dad to linger around, not the Mom.

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Quoting gcecelie:

Other because if it is my son staying the night at a boys house and they are camping outside or something, I would expect the Dad to linger around, not the Mom.

Interesting.

What if it was reversed?

What if there is no Dad in the picture and the situation is a boy's party?

KKmommy3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I said yes,

But, my kids have not gotten into the whole sleepover thing yet.  I am not sure if that would be an issue for me, because if I even let then sleep over it would have to be someone I already know pretty well.

I know my DH would be fine around kids etc, but I would not let him host a kids party, because I don't think he would make it fun for them, He is clueless about kids.  But I think he is in the minority around my neighborhood.  I see many other Dads who are very involved and even a bunch of SAHD's that I would not have a problem with at all.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband works from home and when my DS was younger, he would often go to school events with DD. He always got along great with the other Moms but whenever he tried to set up a play date, they would never call back. I have no problem setting up play dates. I think people say they're ok with just a father being around but when it comes down to it, most people are still bothered by it.

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I have to know the dad really really well. I have trust issues when it comes to men. Personal experiences have caused that for me.
But at the same time, my girls don't stay overnight with anyone but family and they stayed with a really really good friend of ours when dh and I got married, and again when I had to go to the er.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM
3 moms liked this
I said yes. I don't assume DAD = irresponsible or molester.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I said yes. I don't assume DAD = irresponsible or molester.

I don't either lol.

My business is "girl centric" as it's an at home spa party business.  I deal mostly with moms, but do have dads that call either because that's what they do in the family, or because they deal with the money, or sometimes because there is no mom.

I haven't run into someone saying they thought people would be nervous to only have a dad there before.  

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I said yes in all circumstances as long as I know the family same goes for a mom seeing as one of my good friends growing up only had a dad and I stayed there all time I don't see y I wouldn't let my lo do the same
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN