Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

11 Reasons to Get Children out of Government Schools

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 51 Replies
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Friend of mine sent this to me.  Thought it might be interesting to debate.  My personal feeling is that school has become to radical in forcing social agendas on the children.

lga1965
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM
We always went to public schools. When we were in Germany,our kids went to Gover nment Air Force dependent school. Our public schools in MN are excellent !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Glad you had a great experience.  Where I am, not so much.  But these United States vary widely and strangely when it comes to education and social values.

Quoting lga1965:

We always went to public schools. When we were in Germany,our kids went to Gover nment Air Force dependent school. Our public schools in MN are excellent !

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
This reminds me of the calls we get from MIL when she hears something on Fox News and calls us with alarm to get to stop doing this or start doing that. I have zero complaints with our public school district. We have one of the good ones the article claims still do exist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Meh, I think parents just need to be more involved. The lack of civic engagement by people drives me absolutely nuts. 

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Quoting krysstizzle:

Meh, I think parents just need to be more involved. The lack of civic engagement by people drives me absolutely nuts. 

I do think parental involvement matters. 

I am somewhat resentful about the system at our gradeschool though.  Their policy is that PTA members are the onlyones allowed in the building and I simply have not had the money to join pta. 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

cammibear
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Some of those reasons are a little extreme, but the fact that isolated incidents happen and it's the direction we are headed, I think more and more are going to seek alternate ways to educate their kids. At least the parents that care.

#5 Our Kids Are Not Learning Anything In These Public Schools

This is the reason I decided to homeschool my children. I am the only person that I know with certainty that cares about my children's well being and ability to be successful in this world.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Good grief! You have to pay to join the PTA? That's ludicrous. I'd be petitioning the school board, that's pretty appalling, imo. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting krysstizzle:

I am somewhat resentful about the system at our gradeschool though.  Their policy is that PTA members are the onlyones allowed in the building and I simply have not had the money to join pta. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I agree.

Quoting krysstizzle:

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
kam013
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting krysstizzle:

I would have a huge issue with paying for the PTA, it's supposed to be a Volunteer group to support students, teachers and the schools.  Why on earth do you have to pay?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)