Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 Signs You're Gluten Intolerant By Dr. Amy Myers

Posted by   + Show Post

10 Signs You're Gluten Intolerant

More then 55 diseases have been linked to gluten, the protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. It’s estimated that 99% of the people who have either gluten intolerance or celiac disease are never diagnosed.

It is also estimated that as much as 15% of the US population is gluten intolerant. Could you be one of them?

If you have any of the following symptoms it could be a sign that you have gluten intolerance:

1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation. I see the constipation particularly in children after eating gluten.

2. Keratosis Pilaris, (also known as ‘chicken skin’ on the back of your arms). This tends be as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.

3. Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten.

4. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis.

5. Neurologic symptoms such as dizziness or feeling of being off balance.

6. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS or unexplained infertility.

8. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. These diagnoses simply indicate your conventional doctor cannot pin point the cause of your fatigue or pain.

9. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.

10. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Keratosis Pilaris is thought to be genetic but associated with allergies so thus if you have a reaction to something you are to do your best to avoid it to help reduce or eliminate symptoms. My son and I have this and that was part of the recommendation. It is also recommended for the eczema I have.

Certain food allergens are known to trigger anxiety attacks as well as many other things such as migraines and such.

So while I agree that this article routed cause and effect somewhat backward it also can be helpful to eliminate gluten to determine if it is exacerbating the illnesses. But it is commonly a matter of the sugar that is produced so if sugar intake is high it may do nothing.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Dumb/absurd.

Keratosis Pilaris is an extremely common, inherited skin condition that is NOT caused by diet!

Anxiety is a brain chemical imbalance - also not caused by diet.

IntactivistMama
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris#section_2

KP is worse in winter (due to dry air.) Winter is when my alleged allergy to pollen blah blah is less of a problem.

KP is build up of keratin around the hair follicle and I have had temporary relief with the application of alphahydroxy lotions. Antihistamines (the rare time I need them) didn't do diddly. :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I dont' think this article was diagnosing you and your anxiety and PTSD, it was just giving relative facts. Some of the gluten hype is a fad, but for those of us impacted in the real world by this, your flippant dismissal is rude and hurtful.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704893604576200393522456636.html

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/Gluten-Intolerance-Research.htm

http://somvweb.som.umaryland.edu/absolutenm/templates/?a=1474

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Horsefeathers. My anxiety and PTSD were caused by:

A violent and traumatic event.
The fact my mother also has Anxiety and PTSD.

I think the gluten thing is basically the fad of today and not based on hard data.

Of course, people with Celiac disease truly have a problem with gluten.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

So because YOU don't have gluten issues and have this, no one else has a causal relationship with it? This skin issue is the one thing my son and daughter and I shared, prior to our common diagnosis of Celiac's. All of our other symptoms were different. 

Quoting IntactivistMama:

KP is worse in winter (due to dry air.) Winter is when my alleged allergy to pollen blah blah is less of a problem.

KP is build up of keratin around the hair follicle and I have had temporary relief with the application of alphahydroxy lotions. Antihistamines (the rare time I need them) didn't do diddly. :/

IntactivistMama
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I was attacking the opinions (not backed up by methodology) of the MD who wrote the original piece.

Quoting Woodbabe:

I dont' think this article was diagnosing you and your anxiety and PTSD, it was just giving relative facts. Some of the gluten hype is a fad, but for those of us impacted in the real world by this, your flippant dismissal is rude and hurtful.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704893604576200393522456636.html

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/Gluten-Intolerance-Research.htm

http://somvweb.som.umaryland.edu/absolutenm/templates/?a=1474

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Horsefeathers. My anxiety and PTSD were caused by:

A violent and traumatic event.

The fact my mother also has Anxiety and PTSD.

I think the gluten thing is basically the fad of today and not based on hard data.

Of course, people with Celiac disease truly have a problem with gluten.

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I have a few of the things on the list but,I went gluten free during lent a couple years ago,to see if it would help and I didn't really see any difference. I did however find some gluten free things I like better than regular.

I do think there is something there that for some this will make a difference...it just wasn't what my body needed.

IntactivistMama
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM
They "got" it from you because it is autosomal dominant (sp?) It's *extremely* common. I inherited mine from my biological father for example.

The chance my children will end up with it is high, too.

Quoting Woodbabe:

So because YOU don't have gluten issues and have this, no one else has a causal relationship with it? This skin issue is the one thing my son and daughter and I shared, prior to our common diagnosis of Celiac's. All of our other symptoms were different. 

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

It also all disappeared from the three of us after our diagnosis of Celiac's and going gluten free.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

They "got" it from you because it is autosomal dominant (sp?) It's *extremely* common. I inherited mine from my biological father for example.

The chance my children will end up with it is high, too.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting IntactivistMama:

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
We just started gluten elimination with our 1 year old. It had only been a week but already his digestive system is functioning better. He was pooping golf balls but now his poop looks much more normal and it is very clearly not nearly as painful. The diaper rash he had for far too long is gone, and I had tried everything to get it to go away. He had been waking frequently through the night screaming and it was very, very difficult to soothe him. Now, he is still waking but is not screaming like he was and is far easier to soothe. It has not been a magic cure all but it has made his life significantly easier.

Is everyone with one symptom on that list gluten intolerant? Of course not. Anxiety, depression, etc can be caused by a whole myriad of things, so can bowel issues, skin issues, fatigue, hormone imbalances, etc. That doesn't mean that gluten can't be the cause for some people though.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Hmm...this same list of issues is in another post, and being caused by chemicals and GMO's.

I know exactly what the cause of my anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, inflammation, pain in my joints are. Not gluten.

#1 in me is caused by a tortuous colon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured