Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

10 Signs You're Gluten Intolerant By Dr. Amy Myers

Posted by   + Show Post

10 Signs You're Gluten Intolerant

More then 55 diseases have been linked to gluten, the protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. It’s estimated that 99% of the people who have either gluten intolerance or celiac disease are never diagnosed.

It is also estimated that as much as 15% of the US population is gluten intolerant. Could you be one of them?

If you have any of the following symptoms it could be a sign that you have gluten intolerance:

1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation. I see the constipation particularly in children after eating gluten.

2. Keratosis Pilaris, (also known as ‘chicken skin’ on the back of your arms). This tends be as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.

3. Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten.

4. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis.

5. Neurologic symptoms such as dizziness or feeling of being off balance.

6. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS or unexplained infertility.

8. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. These diagnoses simply indicate your conventional doctor cannot pin point the cause of your fatigue or pain.

9. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.

10. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup, it's hereditary. My ex-husband has Celiacs, my daughter tested 2x negative, but took it upon herself to go GF. She is so much better.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

They "got" it from you because it is autosomal dominant (sp?) It's *extremely* common. I inherited mine from my biological father for example.
The chance my children will end up with it is high, too.
Quoting Woodbabe:

So because YOU don't have gluten issues and have this, no one else has a causal relationship with it? This skin issue is the one thing my son and daughter and I shared, prior to our common diagnosis of Celiac's. All of our other symptoms were different. 

Quoting IntactivistMama:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris#section_2 KP is worse in winter (due to dry air.) Winter is when my alleged allergy to pollen blah blah is less of a problem. KP is build up of keratin around the hair follicle and I have had temporary relief with the application of alphahydroxy lotions. Antihistamines (the rare time I need them) didn't do diddly. :/

LAHnTAH0812
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
because what you put into your body can't affect your skin or brain? what a naive way of thinking.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Dumb/absurd.

Keratosis Pilaris is an extremely common, inherited skin condition that is NOT caused by diet!

Anxiety is a brain chemical imbalance - also not caused by diet.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I had the test for Celiacs- It was negative.

lga1965
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM
My adult daughter was diagnosed after having tests....her symptoms included anemia ,severe gas and nausea and depression. Since eliminating Gluten from her diet, the symptoms have disappeared. People DO suffer from Celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Its not a FAD
Quoting IntactivistMama:

Horsefeathers. My anxiety and PTSD were caused by:

A violent and traumatic event.

The fact my mother also has Anxiety and PTSD.

I think the gluten thing is basically the fad of today and not based on hard data.

Of course, people with Celiac disease truly have a problem with gluten.

Quoting eema.gray:

If you're depressed because your brain is not properly producing neurotransmitters, because of inflamation from a food you eat, do you have a problem with your neurtransmitters, something that must be corrected with medication, or do you have a food problem?

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Dumb/absurd.

Keratosis Pilaris is an extremely common, inherited skin condition that is NOT caused by diet!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Google Celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Its never to late to learn new things and continue your education. Seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
My 2.5 year old was diagnosed with celiac at 14 months old.

After that, my MIL got tested, and since cutting gluten - she lost weight, no longer had ibs symptoms, and her arthritis is gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Members of a family all need to be tested. It seems to be inherited.

Quoting Randi02:

After that, my MIL got tested, and since cutting gluten - she lost weight, no longer had ibs symptoms, and her arthritis is gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nb34
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I agree with you. I am so sick and tired of hearing Gluten is the cause of every problem. I am especially sick of it because my sister in laws try to push it on us every chance they get. It is like a new religion. They try to convert you at every chance. If my kid sneezes they say it is because of Gluten. I say bullshit. This is just a new trend, it will die down eventually.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Horsefeathers. My anxiety and PTSD were caused by:

A violent and traumatic event.
The fact my mother also has Anxiety and PTSD.

I think the gluten thing is basically the fad of today and not based on hard data.

Of course, people with Celiac disease truly have a problem with gluten.

Quoting eema.gray:

If you're depressed because your brain is not properly producing neurotransmitters, because of inflamation from a food you eat, do you have a problem with your neurtransmitters, something that must be corrected with medication, or do you have a food problem?

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Dumb/absurd.

Randi02
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
It is.

My daughter had genetic testing done at children's hospital. If you don't have either of these two genes, you will not have celiac disease.
She was the first to be diagnosed, but the symptoms for an adult are so varied, its often overlooked.

Quoting lga1965:

Members of a family all need to be tested. It seems to be inherited.

Quoting Randi02:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

My mother has been doing GF for a little over 16 years.  She started soon after being diagnosed with MS.  She is asymptomatic as long as she avoids all gluten.  When she slips it only takes a few days before she starts having a MS flare up.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN