Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

10 Signs You're Gluten Intolerant By Dr. Amy Myers

Posted by   + Show Post

10 Signs You're Gluten Intolerant

More then 55 diseases have been linked to gluten, the protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. It’s estimated that 99% of the people who have either gluten intolerance or celiac disease are never diagnosed.

It is also estimated that as much as 15% of the US population is gluten intolerant. Could you be one of them?

If you have any of the following symptoms it could be a sign that you have gluten intolerance:

1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation. I see the constipation particularly in children after eating gluten.

2. Keratosis Pilaris, (also known as ‘chicken skin’ on the back of your arms). This tends be as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.

3. Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten.

4. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis.

5. Neurologic symptoms such as dizziness or feeling of being off balance.

6. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS or unexplained infertility.

8. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. These diagnoses simply indicate your conventional doctor cannot pin point the cause of your fatigue or pain.

9. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.

10. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Actually, some parents of chikdren with neurological disorders see huge improvements in their children after making dietary changes such as removal of gluten. Some do not. But I don't think it's such a stretch to apply this to adult disorders as well. Not do sure it would help people with anxiety or PTSD.

Looking at this list, I don't have migraines or fibromyalgia. Everything else applies.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Shrug...that's your prerogative. My mother has been gf before it was "cool" and has no progressive decline from her MS...so whatever she is doing works for her.

Quoting nb34:

Don't they also say there is a link between gluten intolerance and Autism? As I said, it seems now a days everything is related to Gluten for some reason. I say a lot of it is totall bullshit.

Quoting katy_kay08:

the theory behind the MS and Gluten intolerance connection is pretty interesting.  

I'm sure I won't explain this quite as well as I would like.  But essentially the theory is that genetic make up of gluten is very close to the genetic make up of the myelin sheath that surrounds the nerves, because of how close they are a body with an gluten intolerance will produce extra white blood cells to attack the gluten but ultimately end up destroying the myelin surrounding the nerves. 

By eliminating the "reaction" it limits damage to the nerves.  

Studies are showing that people with MS have an increased rate of celiac disease as well.  

Quoting lga1965:

That is amazing ! Good news ! Wouldn't it be wonderful if science and medicine discovered that diet is actually responsible for a whole lot of diseases . How easy it would be to be healthy then !

Quoting katy_kay08:

My mother has been doing GF for a little over 16 years.  She started soon after being diagnosed with MS.  She is asymptomatic as long as she avoids all gluten.  When she slips it only takes a few days before she starts having a MS flare up.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a lot of these symptoms. I am on day 9 gluten free and I have to say that I'm not feeling the need to nap everyday like I usually do.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Horsefeathers. My anxiety and PTSD were caused by:

A violent and traumatic event.
The fact my mother also has Anxiety and PTSD.

I think the gluten thing is basically the fad of today and not based on hard data.

Of course, people with Celiac disease truly have a problem with gluten.

Quoting eema.gray:

If you're depressed because your brain is not properly producing neurotransmitters, because of inflamation from a food you eat, do you have a problem with your neurtransmitters, something that must be corrected with medication, or do you have a food problem?

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Dumb/absurd.

Keratosis Pilaris is an extremely common, inherited skin condition that is NOT caused by diet!

Anxiety is a brain chemical imbalance - also not caused by diet.

Do you think this article is saying ALL ANXIETY is caused by diet?

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Its only pushing it at you if its forced on you. An informative post that many of us can relate to really isn't pushing it on you, now is it? For those of us who suffered for years, this new research and understanding about our problem is overwhelmingly positive. I hope you and your family never has to suffer years with a medical issue, being patted on the head and treated like an imbecile because modern medicine hasn't quite caught up with you. Or mocked and ridiculed when it finally does catch up and help you.

Quoting nb34:

If you know you are intolerant then that's fine, but please people should stop pushing it on those who are not. This is not every one's concern. That's the difference. I also think it is over diagnosed. I am just fine eating Gluten but somehow it is made to be the healthier choice for everyone, it is not.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

lga1965
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I know...

Quoting nb34:

If you know you are intolerant then that's fine, but please people should stop pushing it on those who are not. This is not every one's concern. That's the difference. I also think it is over diagnosed. I am just fine eating Gluten but somehow it is made to be the healthier choice for everyone, it is not.

Quoting lga1965:

Google Celiac disease....gluten intolerance is also described. It is NOT a fad. It won't go away.

Quoting nb34:

I agree with you. I am so sick and tired of hearing Gluten is the cause of every problem. I am especially sick of it because my sister in laws try to push it on us every chance they get. It is like a new religion. They try to convert you at every chance. If my kid sneezes they say it is because of Gluten. I say bullshit. This is just a new trend, it will die down eventually.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Horsefeathers. My anxiety and PTSD were caused by:

A violent and traumatic event.

The fact my mother also has Anxiety and PTSD.

I think the gluten thing is basically the fad of today and not based on hard data.

Of course, people with Celiac disease truly have a problem with gluten.

Quoting eema.gray:

If you're depressed because your brain is not properly producing neurotransmitters, because of inflamation from a food you eat, do you have a problem with your neurtransmitters, something that must be corrected with medication, or do you have a food problem?

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Dumb/absurd.

Keratosis Pilaris is an extremely common, inherited skin condition that is NOT caused by diet!

Anxiety is a brain chemical imbalance - also not caused by diet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovemyQ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I have MS and glad your mom found relief. I want to try gluten free, but i'll be honest, I am scared of the mood swings and cravings.

Quoting katy_kay08:

My mother has been doing GF for a little over 16 years.  She started soon after being diagnosed with MS.  She is asymptomatic as long as she avoids all gluten.  When she slips it only takes a few days before she starts having a MS flare up.  

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM
I definitely can be hard to make the switch. When she did it there was vry little on the market to replace all the things she had to cut out. Now there are se really great products out there that make the transition easier. Some of them are better than the wheat counterparts.

How are you feeling? How long have you had the MS dx?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

For me 3, 4, and 9 were true.  I've been gluten free since July and doing much better.  My hashimotos is going away too

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I have had chronic migraines for 26 years. About 4 years ago, I cut out gluten as well as refined sugars from my diet, and my headaches actually got worse, not better.After a month of not being able to eat like a normal person and STILL getting migraines, I said the heck with it and ate a cheeseburger and french fries for dinner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)