Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should churches, pastors, or judges be sued for not wanting to perform a wedding ceremony?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM
  • 184 Replies

Apply any reason why this person chooses not do it.

Should people be able to force them to perform a ceremony?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Good question.

tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't think a judge can legally refuse to marry someone, as long as the marriage is legal in that state and all legal forms/requirements are met.

PamR
by Pam on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

No.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM

No

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM
7 moms liked this
No. This shouldn't even be a question. If we want to say we believe in separation of church and state, then we can't keep blurring that line. The church should not be able to dictate laws, and the government should have no rights or hand in church business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

No. I think it's their prerogative whether they want to marry someone or not. 

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

No -- I know it is part of their job, but it is only a part of it.  There are many reasons why some one would choose not to perform a ceremony.... they range from already having plans for the date/time  the ceremony is set to take place to not necessarily believing the people asking to be married should be married. 

I am sure that the couple could/would be able to find some one that can/will be happy to do so.  Frankly, one could apply the idea that if you know the person performing your marriage vows do not 100% support your marriage in the first place, then why would you want them to perform your ceremony to begin with?

Being from a state that just legalized SSM, there has been discussions about this very issue and about churches or pastors that do not believe in SSM and the risk they take stating that fact.  Could they be sued?  Supposedly not... based on the new law, if they excuse themselves from performing the ceremony due to religious convictions, there should be no repercussions.  But, again, why would you want some one to perform your ceremony who believed that what you were doing was an "abomination"?  I am sure there are plenty of people in this state that would be more than willing to perform a SSM...

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I don't know about your state, but here judges can perform them but are not required.   it is something they can do to earn extra money.

Quoting tscritch:

I don't think a judge can legally refuse to marry someone, as long as the marriage is legal in that state and all legal forms/requirements are met.

3lilladies81
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM
No. Would you want to be sued for something you don't want to do? Not you personally but in general you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Churches or Pastors.. no

Judges, oui

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)