Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should churches, pastors, or judges be sued for not wanting to perform a wedding ceremony?

Posted by   + Show Post

Apply any reason why this person chooses not do it.

Should people be able to force them to perform a ceremony?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (181-184):
RainyDayLazy
by Rainy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Yup. The question was in regards to judges too. I agree that churches should not be sued.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Because he is a JUSTICE of the PEACE and should refuse NO ONE he is NOT a CHURCH

United States

In some US states, the Justice of the Peace is a judge of a court of limited jurisdiction, a magistrate, or a quasi-judicial official with certain statutory or common law magisterial powers.

The Justice of the Peace typically presides over a court that hears misdemeanor cases, traffic violations, and other petty criminal infractions. The Justice of the Peace may also have authority over cases involving small debtslandlord and tenant disputes, or othersmall claims court proceedings. Proceedings before Justices of the Peace are often faster and less formal than the proceedings in other courts. In some jurisdictions a party convicted or found liable before a Justice of the Peace may have the right to a trial de novo before the judge of a higher court rather than an appeal strictly considered.

A Justice of the Peace also performs civil marriages. While states generally recognize marriages applied for under any relevant statutes and officiated under a religious leader or equivalent authority with adequate witnesses present, a Justice of the Peace can typically oversee a marriage union directly.

Some states have special qualifications or unique features for the office.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Oh wow. I'm ashamed to say I grew up in Tangipahoa Parish, and I knew quite a few members of that family. Here's the thing: Yes, we all know that's ridiculous. Even though in the area where he lives, biracial children really aren't usually accepted by either side of their family, his stance is a continuation of that rather than an effort to change it. But he's not the only JoP around. It's not like there's no one else to go to. Why couldn't he just send them to someone else?

Quoting RainyDayLazy:

Like with this guy? Yup

Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License By Louisiana Justice Of The Peace

AP

(AP) NEW ORLEANS A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Full story at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2009/10/15/interracial-couple-denied_n_322784.html

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM

churches and pastor ...no. They are private organizations and as such they should have the right to refuse to marry or not marry whomever they wish.

Judges, however, are not private entities. If they are going to perform ceremonies as part of their job description as a government entity, then they should perform for anyone regardless of their personal views.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

No! I would not want to be in a position I had to do something I did not want to

Hzjewl
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

No, in my church if an engaged couple does not want to go through the 12-week pre-marital counseling course, my Pastor will not marry them or allow them to marry in our Church. And since he does not charge to do the ceremony, requiring the couple to know what they're getting into before he performs the ceremony is not too much to ask of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured