Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should churches, pastors, or judges be sued for not wanting to perform a wedding ceremony?

Posted by   + Show Post

Apply any reason why this person chooses not do it.

Should people be able to force them to perform a ceremony?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
IntactivistMama
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Bible thumpers: no

Judges should get into trouble though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I am basing this on going to a court house to be married....not asking a judge to just come do your wedding. If that makes any sense. :-)

I don't think you should be able to sue a church/pastor for declining to marry you. As someone said, why would you want someone to marry you who wasn't behind your marriage.

Quoting talia-mom:

I don't know about your state, but here judges can perform them but are not required.   it is something they can do to earn extra money.

Quoting tscritch:

I don't think a judge can legally refuse to marry someone, as long as the marriage is legal in that state and all legal forms/requirements are met.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Judges should uphold their office... Meaning during their work hours assuming all paperwork is in order and the marriage is otherwise legal they should perform the legal marriage. On their off hours, they can make up their own minds.

churches should marry anyone who fulfills their "paperwork"... For example some require pre marriage counseling. If the church doesn't recognize SSM then no but that is a tricky problem.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

What if they are not required to perform them?

Quoting Sekirei:

Churches or Pastors.. no

Judges, oui

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I am saying the same thing.   Judges don't have to perform weddings here.

Quoting tscritch:

I am basing this on going to a court house to be married....not asking a judge to just come do your wedding. If that makes any sense. :-)

I don't think you should be able to sue a church/pastor for declining to marry you. As someone said, why would you want someone to marry you who wasn't behind your marriage.

Quoting talia-mom:

I don't know about your state, but here judges can perform them but are not required.   it is something they can do to earn extra money.

Quoting tscritch:

I don't think a judge can legally refuse to marry someone, as long as the marriage is legal in that state and all legal forms/requirements are met.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Even if they are not required to do it.?

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Bible thumpers: no

Judges should get into trouble though.

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Why waste time with all that? Find someone else to do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Depends. Did they go through everything and then decide not to when they saw the couple?

or did they say no before seeing the couple with no reason given?

First one, yes.

second one, no. 

If the judge is against the unions, fine, as long as he doesn't use it as a soapbox moment. Or attempt to embarrass the hell out of them. You can't accuse them of something if they don't say it. 

Quoting talia-mom:

What if they are not required to perform them?

Quoting Sekirei:

Churches or Pastors.. no

Judges, oui

nelliesmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM

no

MamaDearie
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM

You cannot sue someone for following their chosen religious beliefs. A judge may be a different story but as to the others- ummmm- duh- no. Freedom of religion here people.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)