Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should churches, pastors, or judges be sued for not wanting to perform a wedding ceremony?

Posted by   + Show Post

Apply any reason why this person chooses not do it.

Should people be able to force them to perform a ceremony?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (151-160):
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I think in most places its a choice in many States and Counties. however if they CHOOSE to do it for one they have to Choose to do it for the other or there are repercussions.  When it comes to Politics and Government your Religious beliefs shouldn't effect how you do your job.. Separation of Church and State. If you don't want Government in your Religion then leave your Religion out of Government

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Churches and pastors should not be forced.  A judge, maybe.  It depends.  I personally feel like we could end all this bickering about marriage if we had it that any consenting adults can marry legally, but if you want the actually church ceremony, it is left up to the discretion of the church. 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM
And? That isn't discrimination.

Refusing to marry a couple because they are or brown or Hindu or gay is.
Telling someone they have to pick another day of the week isn't discriminatory. Especially since state and federal workers don't work on Sundays.

Quoting talia-mom:

He is doing it because he because his religion doesn't allow for Sunday work.

Quoting Momniscient:

No. Sundays do not enjoy protected status.

Quoting talia-mom:

Not all states require judges to perform ceremonies.

This came up because I have been invited to a Sunday wedding.

The initial judge they asked refused because he doesn't work on Sundays.

Should he be sued because of this?

Quoting ArianEponae:

churches...If the church rents out to the public, then they need to be prepared to rent to anyone in the public who wants to rent, whether they agree with the person's chosen partner or not.  If they only rent out to members, then only members would be able to rent it.

pastors...No. Pastors generally require counselling sessions prior to the ceremony, and they say up front that they reserve the right to refuse if the couple doesn't complete the counselling or if the pastor feels that the couple is not ready for marriage.  As for ssm, if the pastor's religion says that it is not acceptable, he/she shouldn't be forced to perform the ceremony because doing so would violate their beliefs

judges...YES! A judge is supposed to be unbiased when they are in court.  Performing the ceremony is a part of the job in court, and therefore the judge needs to put aside their personal beliefs and follow the law that they are there to uphold

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Even without Texas as a factor, you still haven't acknowledged the simple fact that if a civil servant is REQUIRED by their job to perform marriage ceremones and refuses to on the basis of their beliefs, they should be asked to resign from their position. 

Maybe you should get glasses to be able to see the point that everyone has made so abundantly clear. 

Quite obviously, if the official ISN"T REQUIRED to perform the duties, there should be no repercussion. 

Seriously.

Quoting talia-mom:

No I didn't say they weren't required in Texas.

I asked if the judge should be sued.

But make this a name calling ugly thing because you aren't capable of listening to a point of view not your own.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM

All I have asked is should they be sued if they refuse to perform a ceremony if they can perform it but aren't required.   You never answered.   You just went on the insane attack.

You are the one getting rude and ugly and name calling (which is against TOS) for no reason.

Quoting frogbender:

Even without Texas as a factor, you still haven't acknowledged the simple fact that if a civil servant is REQUIRED by their job to perform marriage ceremones and refuses to on the basis of their beliefs, they should be asked to resign from their position. 

Maybe you should get glasses to be able to see the point that everyone has made so abundantly clear. 

Quite obviously, if the official ISN"T REQUIRED to perform the duties, there should be no repercussion. 

Seriously.

Quoting talia-mom:

But make this a name calling ugly thing because you aren't capable of listening to a point of view not your own.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I have said no about 10 times in the course of this thread. Your comprehension skills are just crap. I really couldn't care less about TOS. Getting booted wouldn't hurt my feelings. 

Q

All I have asked is should they be sued if they refuse to perform a ceremony if they can perform it but aren't required.   You never answered.   You just went on the insane attack.

You are the one getting rude and ugly and name calling (which is against TOS) for no reason.

Quoting frogbender:

Seriously.

Quoting talia-mom:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Except you didn't just say no.  

Quoting frogbender:

I have said no about 10 times in the course of this thread. Your comprehension skills are just crap. I really couldn't care less about TOS. Getting booted wouldn't hurt my feelings. 

Q

Quoting frogbender:

Seriously.

Quoting talia-mom:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Why not judges?

Quoting lizzielouaf:

No

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM
GTFOH, lots of people said no, grow up with your oh name calling is against TOS, fucking ridiculous

Quoting talia-mom:

Except you didn't just say no.  

Quoting frogbender:

Q

Quoting frogbender:

Seriously.

Quoting talia-mom:

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM
No. They are not public servants. They should follow their convictions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN