Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OT: Am i overreacting?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 77 Replies

DS is 6y. My mom took him to the dentist today to have his teeth cleaned.

He has a sensitive gag reflex so when the assistant was doing the last x-ray in the back of his mouth he started to gag. My mom was just outside the room and heard him tell the girl that he was choking. She responded by telling him to open his mouth. It happened two more times and on the last time he told her the plastic was hurting him. She told him it wasn't, not to be a baby, and to open his mouth. My mom heard him gagging again and went in and told the girl to stop. She looked at my mom, said nothing, and told DS to open his mouth again. DS was shaking and began to tear up. He started choking and my mom said, that's enough. She said she ws going to try it one more time and my mom told her to take her hands off of him and get someone else to finish the appointment.

She called me and told me what happened. I called the dentist office and asked them to explain what happened. They told me my mom was very rude. I asked if it was standard procedure to ignore the request of a parent who asks for a procedure to be stopped and she said it was in some cases. I asked her if she thought it was appropriate to tell a gagging, crying 6 year old that he isn't gagging and to act like a big boy and she said every dental assistant uses different strategies but that one might not be the best.

We're not going back to that office but i am really angry about how he was treated. Is that what you might expect from a dentist or am i overreacting?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have bitch slapped that girl! Not overreacting at all!

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I gag and cry when I get teeth Xrays -

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Not overreacting. The patient had a problem and needed to be treated differently and the worker refused- totally unacceptable in HC.

I also have a hypersensitive gag and have extreme issues with dental X Rays- I also warn them ahead of time.

I would let the office know exactly why you will not be returning-

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh, you are so not over reacting! For the life of me I can not understand why some dentists make the experience so horrid. Personally I have to be drugged just to have my teeth cleaned and I still sit there weeping like a moron because I'm so scared. Hopefully you can find a more understanding dentist and your son won't grow up to hate going to the dentist.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM
No, not overreacting at all. I have had some terrible experiences with Dentists and my kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

file a better business bureau complaint, then they will know exactly why you aren't returning, and so will anyone else who looks them up to see reviews.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
You are not. Bravo to your mom for the way she handled it. It sounds like a terrible dentist for children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Ugh some dentists are assholes.  It is legitimate to expect care and concern when getting a dental procedure.  I'll tell you what if someone made my 5yo gag they would get a lapful of vomit.  She will puke if gagged.

You are not overreacting, that's a good way to make sure your 6yo hates the dentist.  

The last time I went to the dentist she was really rude and bitchy because I told her to replace a filling, and she wanted to do a more in depth procedure.  I said, well, OK, if you can't I will not do anything here today.  Then she rolled her eyes and sid "oh, fine."

Then she asked me when the last time I had been in, I said it had been several years.  She started telling me that was irresponsible, so I told her I was uninsured and didn't have the money to keep up like I should.  She proceeded to tell me about how when she was in college she always found the money to get to the dentist and that I was not managing my money well.  I was like wtf?  This was the actual dentist, by the way, not the assistant.

Screw that, you are the customer.  I would make a complaint and tell them why you aren't coming back.

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Definitely not overreacting. Even ignoring all the other crap issues, what kind of a health care worker calls children names?! That's awful. I think you and your mom handled it well. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

No I dont think you were....how big is a 6yo supposed to act for heavens sake?

I go in with all my kids....they like having me there and the dentist chats away with me the whole time...never had a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)