Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fayhan Al Ghamdi, Saudi Cleric, Reportedly Beats 5-Year-Old Daughter To Death, Receives Only Light Sentence

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

Fayhan Al Ghamdi, Saudi Cleric, Reportedly Beats 5-Year-Old Daughter To Death, Receives Only Light Sentence

02/03/13 08:39 AM ET EST AP

Fayhan Al Ghamdi
House windows are latticed to shield the women inside from view, Jidda, Saudi Arabia (Photo by Jodi Cobb/National Geographic/Getty Images)

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- Online activists in Saudi Arabia are calling for harsher punishments for child abuse after reports that a prominent cleric received only a light sentence after confessing to the beating death of his 5-year-old daughter.

The social media campaign gaining momentum Sunday is the latest attempt to use the Internet to pressure the kingdom's ultraconservative rulers.

Saudi media reports say Fayhan al-Ghamdi, a frequent guest on Islamic TV programs, was arrested in November on charges of killing the girl. The reports said he questioned the child's virginity.

Saudi media say he was freed last week after serving a short prison term and agreeing to pay $50,000 in "blood money" to avoid a possible death sentence.

The money was presumably offered to the girl's mother or other relatives

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Blood money is a common practice in Saudi Arabia and supposedly allowed in Islam (correct me if I am wrong!!!!). 

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM

He killed five years old child over what???!!! Virginity??!!

angry

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM

here is a link to a blog about this. WARNING it is graphic.

http://saudiwoman.me/2013/01/31/rest-in-peace-lama/

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM

This is sick.

And I believe it has nothing to do with Islam.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)