Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cake 'Ace' offers help for same-sex wedding

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM
  • 9 Replies

'Ace of Cakes' star offers free cake for same-sex couple rejected by baker

Michael Tullberg / Getty Images

Duff Goldman.

When Aaron Klein, owner of Gresham, Ore., bakery Sweet Cakes, told a lesbian couple that he wouldn't make their wedding cake because "we don't do same-sex marriages," he did more than turn away a couple of customers. He made headlines, sparked a state investigation and might have introduced the couple to their new, nationally famous big-day baker.

"They made a choice to do what they're doing," Klein told Portland's KATU. "I'm making a choice to not be a part of it." Klein is being investigated for a possible violation of Oregon's Equality Act.

Now Duff Goldman, star of past Food Network series "Ace of Cakes," is making a choice too. The Charm City Cakes head honcho wants to be the couple's new baker -- gratis.

Goldman first learned of the news from a Huffington Post report and later told HuffPost Live, "You see stories, you hear stories and you always try to (think), 'Well, what can I do?' … I saw this story and thought, 'Wait! I can do something. There's injustice involving a cake. I can fix this!'"

Then addressing the unidentified couple directly, he added, "If you guys want, I will make you a cake for free, drive it up to Portland -- no charge -- just to right this wrong."

No word yet if the couple has accepted the offer.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SpiritedWitch
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Duff ROCKS!! 

The other baker owns his company and has (or so I thought) the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. While I don't agree with his decision, I do support his right to make that decision. It's stupid that the state is investigating. 

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Duff ROCKS!! 

The other baker owns his company and has (or so I thought) the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. While I don't agree with his decision, I do support his right to make that decision. It's stupid that the state is investigating. 

The other baker does NOT have the right to refuse service to anyone. Discrimination is against the law in the state where he lives (Sexual orientation is included in that state as well).

So it makes perfect sense that the state is investigating. Religion is not a sword of hate that is used to discriminate against people. Or at least it shouldn't be. 

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

aprilsalcro
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Duff ROCKS!! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Duff ROCKS!! 

The other baker does NOT have the right to refuse service to anyone. Discrimination is against the law in the state where he lives (Sexual orientation is included in that state as well).

So it makes perfect sense that the state is investigating. Religion is not a sword of hate that is used to discriminate against people. Or at least it shouldn't be. 

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM

A DUFF cake?! Nice.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

The couple really lucked out.

SpiritedWitch
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Duff ROCKS!! 

Okay, so no one has the right in Oregon to refuse to serve someone? That makes no sense. Does that include bars and restaurants?

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Duff ROCKS!! 

Okay, so no one has the right in Oregon to refuse to serve someone? That makes no sense. Does that include bars and restaurants?

There is a clear and visible difference between what is illegal discrimination and what is legal discrimination.

Discriminating based one time: I won't bake you a cake because I am closed or fully booked: Legal
Discriminating based on age: I won't bake you an alcoholic cake because you are underage: legal
Discriminating based on clothing. I won't bake you a cake because you don't have pants on and I have a no pants no shoes no service policy: Legal
Discriminating based on vulgarity: I won't bake a cake with a penis on it: Legal

I can go on. But there are clear examples where it is illegal.

Discriminating based on sex: I won't bake you a cake because you are a woman: illegal.
Discriminating based on color: I won't bake you a cake because you are black: illegal
Discriminating based on sexual orientation: I won't bake you a cake because you are homosexual: illegal (In this state anyways. Not every state includes them yet).

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM
You have the posting patience of Job.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Duff ROCKS!! 

There is a clear and visible difference between what is illegal discrimination and what is legal discrimination.

Discriminating based one time: I won't bake you a cake because I am closed or fully booked: Legal
Discriminating based on age: I won't bake you an alcoholic cake because you are underage: legal
Discriminating based on clothing. I won't bake you a cake because you don't have pants on and I have a no pants no shoes no service policy: Legal
Discriminating based on vulgarity: I won't bake a cake with a penis on it: Legal

I can go on. But there are clear examples where it is illegal.

Discriminating based on sex: I won't bake you a cake because you are a woman: illegal.
Discriminating based on color: I won't bake you a cake because you are black: illegal
Discriminating based on sexual orientation: I won't bake you a cake because you are homosexual: illegal (In this state anyways. Not every state includes them yet).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN