Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Flip off the Judge, do 30 days.

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

Teen Jailed After Flipping Off Judge

MIAMI, Fl. — A Miami teenager has been sentenced to 30 days in jail after flipping off a judge during her court hearing.

Penelope Soto, 18, was in court for a bail hearing on a drug possession charge.

Soto repeatedly laughed at the judge during the hearing, clearing irritating him.

He was initially going to hold her on $5,000 bail, but then raised it to $10,000.

Soto then flipped him off and blurted an expletive as she walked away.

In return, the judge then ordered her held in contempt of court and sentenced her to 30 days in jail.

Read more: http://ktla.com/2013/02/06/teen-jailed-after-flipping-off-judge/#ixzz2K8QHJkoG

Read more at http://ktla.com/2013/02/06/teen-jailed-after-flipping-off-judge/#kpRp0oT8WLG8JrK0.99 

Do you think the Judge was on target?

Some how, I do not think this young girl will get the message.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Replies (31-38):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Quoting LindaClement:

That reminds me of that meme that went around:

You think when I'm standing in the corner, I'm thinking about what I did wrong that got me in trouble; actually, I'm thinking about how not to get caught next time.

I believe that parents greatly underestimate the power they have to influence their children, and in doing so they overplay their hand in attempting to control them instead.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LindaClement:

Probably, she's reflecting a lifelong experience. 

That you would be mortified is probably the number one reason none of your kids will ever be in this position...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I would be mortified if my child ever ended up in jail for any reason, add in acting like this girl and truly not having the capacity to realize what she has done, showing absolute pure disrespect for herself and others.........I can't imagine.

I hope that, somewhere along the way, perhaps during her 30 days in jail, she truly takes the time to reflect on her actions, think outside the moment and realize she has this chance to take the right road.

I have never hid the fact about how mortified I would be under certain circumstances.   The girls are well aware of my wrath, or my disappointment.  I think they would rather weather my wrath versus my disappointment in them.  

I remember seeing that.  I could see the wheels turning in my child's mind at times. lol

I agree with you.  As parents, we need to find the balance.  Even so, I have always been pretty open about how I feel about certain things.   

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
What they said.

Quoting LindaClement:

That you would be mortified is probably the number one reason none of your kids will ever be in this position...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I would be mortified if my child ever ended up in jail for any reason, add in acting like this girl and truly not having the capacity to realize what she has done, showing absolute pure disrespect for herself and others.........I can't imagine.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM

How Not to Behave In Court: Girl Flips Off Judge [VIDEO]

girl flips off judge

If you ever find yourself in court on drug possession charges, always remember the following: it is never a good idea to flip off the judge who’s about to sentence you!

Eighteen-year-old Penelope Soto found that out the hard way after being fined $5,000 for contempt of court after mouthing off to Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat.

Kchellejones330
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Welp, there goes that young ladies life down the drain.
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM

She was dumb to do that. She probably not learn because she is so defiant. However, she deserved to get the time. Hopefully, somehow it will get through to her.  

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM

That girl got what she deserved. I couldn't help laughing when they showed the footage of her acting like an idiot in court.  I thought the look on her face was hilarious when the judge raised her bail, she looked like she was about to faint at first, but instead put on the tough girl act.. When the moron flipped off the judge, and he sentenced her to 30 days in jail, the look that had on her face was priceless.  Not so tough now is she.  I would be embarrassed if that were my child.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think we have any need to hide our opinions... it's overusing our status as Authority that ends up with kids totally checking out, the whole 'whatever' because they can't stand being yanked around like that.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LindaClement:

That reminds me of that meme that went around:

You think when I'm standing in the corner, I'm thinking about what I did wrong that got me in trouble; actually, I'm thinking about how not to get caught next time.

I believe that parents greatly underestimate the power they have to influence their children, and in doing so they overplay their hand in attempting to control them instead.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I hope that, somewhere along the way, perhaps during her 30 days in jail, she truly takes the time to reflect on her actions, think outside the moment and realize she has this chance to take the right road.

I have never hid the fact about how mortified I would be under certain circumstances.   The girls are well aware of my wrath, or my disappointment.  I think they would rather weather my wrath versus my disappointment in them.  

I remember seeing that.  I could see the wheels turning in my child's mind at times. lol

I agree with you.  As parents, we need to find the balance.  Even so, I have always been pretty open about how I feel about certain things.   

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Good for him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN