Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jim Carey tweets, the right freaks out

Posted by   + Show Post

Jim Carrey 'Assault Rifle' Tweet Angers Right

Jim Carrey is taking a seat alongside Bob Costas, Stephen King and others who have lately invited the wrath of the gun lobby.

The comedic actor tweeted on Saturday:

'Any1 who would run out to buy an assault rifle after the Newtown massacre has very little left in their body or soul worth protecting'

This, of course, did not go over well with those who fear Obama himself will at any minute walk through their front door and take away their guns (except the ones they use for skeet shooting).

Fox Nation referred to the comment as "nasty", while conservative blog WND noted, "'Dumb and Dumber' doesn't begin to cover this one."

Red Alert Politics writer Erin Brown wrote about it at length, decrying the tweet as a "careless remark ... rooted in the shallow, parroted talking points so commonly espoused by liberal elites." She went on to lament the popularity of Carrey's statement: "Sadly, his divisive comment has received more than 3,400 retweets and more than 1,600 'favorites' as of this printing, proving once again that the power wielded by Hollywood celebrities carries a very real influence."

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

eh

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
It shows he was speaking from emotion instead of anything specific to one tragedy or another.

It's an emotional response that will elicit many more emotive responses that will likely become reactive and vicious rants as people show how calm and rational gun owners can be
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Meh... I don't agree but I also don't care. I have never been able to understand why we are supposed to care about the political leanings of famous people just because they are famous.
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM
4 moms liked this
Me neither. Plus, I personally think he's a horrible actor.

Quoting JMmama:

Meh... I don't agree but I also don't care. I have never been able to understand why we are supposed to care about the political leanings of famous people just because they are famous.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I don't really care. Though I also wondered why the hell people buy those weapons right after they are used for what they are supposed to used for: killing as many people as possible. Why are they arming themselves like that? We are not living in Mad Max times. 

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't care for his acting either. Every so often he does something I like. I liked The Truman Show, but generally speaking I'm not a fan of his style.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting JMmama:

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Amen.

Didn't the Newtown ME say the massacre was executed with handguns?

Quoting JMmama:

LindaClement
by Linda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I think he's a fantastic actor ... who is not a good writer, nor comedian, nor any judge of what a good part in a good movie looks like.

I have never thought he was funny --at all. Which is probably traitorous, because he's Canadian. I've never found any of his movies watchable.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting JMmama:

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Why does anyone care what Jim Carey says?  

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I think it is silly when people get in name calling wars over a twitter post!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured