Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What Black History Are We Teaching the Next Generation of Black Americans?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 30 Replies
2 moms liked this
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM

bump

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Excellent video!  Very candid.  Half way through it,  I started wondering what kind of legacy the last two generations of blacks had to impress on their children, until I realized that it's  sadly been oppression, desperation, violence and negative sexuality.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

This says it all.

And it is what I have been TRYING to talk about for a couple years now here.

Thanks for sharing this.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting piece about Rosa Parks in my paper today... I can't link it because it's too new... but it was about her lifelong activism, and the fact that she never claimed her feet were tired or anything else --she had long before determined that if she was ever asked to stand for a white man she would refuse. So she did.

She was never the meek, tired servant she's often portrayed as...

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM
How sad that this post gets so little attention.
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Radarma:

Not controversial enough for them. Truth can't be argued with. (At least intelligently)

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

The entire society of the USA is going to hell in a hand basket. Some just find it easier to put the blame on POC.

SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Good points, and from a very respectable military man.  I took a class in college titled "African American History since 1835", was one of the few non blacks in the class. The teacher started asking basic African American history information ( the anti slavery amendments, Jim Crow information i.e.) and no one but me knew the answers (history major, teacher knew that, I'd had him several times prior).  The teacher asked why the "white girl" knew more about African American History than the African Americans....made the rest of the class very uncomfortable for me, but he had a point as well.  It's important to know what your past history is!

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM
5 moms liked this

That's one theory. Or, trying to have discusions centered around race in this forum is like a nightmarish ride on a sick and twisted merry go round full of screeching harpies from every side. No intricacies and subtleties are allowed, everything always gets pushed to one extreme or the other, everyone is told that their personal experiences are made up, and all reasoned argument (from both sides) gets lost in the madness of lunacy of extremism.

It's infuriating and exhausting, frankly. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting Radarma:

Not controversial enough for them. Truth can't be argued with. (At least intelligently)

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM
5 moms liked this

I dont enter into race discussions with people who seem to have an agenda.  This OP I always hear banjo's playing and the other dick who is obsessed with black people just needs to get a life...go ride a bike somewhere:-)

Quoting krysstizzle:

That's one theory. Or, trying to have discusions centered around race in this forum is like a nightmarish ride on a sick and twisted merry go round full of screeching harpies from every side. No intricacies and subtleties are allowed, everything always gets pushed to one extreme or the other, everyone is told that their personal experiences are made up, and all reasoned argument (from both sides) gets lost in the madness of lunacy of extremism.

It's infuriating and exhausting, frankly. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting Radarma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)