Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What Black History Are We Teaching the Next Generation of Black Americans?

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
lga1965
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I guess some of it was true. But then, I can't help thinking about the things he said last year when he was campaigning...ick... and I still don't like him. But one thing he said that I agree with is that the traditional family is disappearing which is never a good thing for the country. Oh, and for any race...white,black, latino, anyone...lack of ambition and avoiding higher education, then complaining because they aren't getting jobs is annoying.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Excellent video!  Very candid.  Half way through it,  I started wondering what kind of legacy the last two generations of blacks had to impress on their children, until I realized that it's  sadly been oppression, desperation, violence and negative sexuality.

Unfortunately there are segments of the white and Hispanic populations who are emulating this downward spiral as well.

I think socioeconomic status and education would be a better factor to investigate.

lol, so howcome hispanic and whites (and asian et al) have different rates of "success"/ "achievement"?

Surely there are equally poor hispanicwhitesasiansetals?

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Excellent video!  Very candid.  Half way through it,  I started wondering what kind of legacy the last two generations of blacks had to impress on their children, until I realized that it's  sadly been oppression, desperation, violence and negative sexuality.

Unfortunately there are segments of the white and Hispanic populations who are emulating this downward spiral as well.

I think socioeconomic status and education would be a better factor to investigate.

lol, so howcome hispanic and whites (and asian et al) have different rates of "success"/ "achievement"?

Oh. No, see, I'm not doing this with you. Have a nice night, though.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

You represent the fountain of blame, you really do.

You are, right there, here, ready to offer a plethora of excuses, when all the while, these exact excuses are the crutches that cripple a segment of americans.

You have a good night too lil foster farm bird.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM
This

And then to have stormfront and other white supremacist websites linked as credible sources for their POV

No thanks...

Quoting krysstizzle:

That's one theory. Or, trying to have discusions centered around race in this forum is like a nightmarish ride on a sick and twisted merry go round full of screeching harpies from every side. No intricacies and subtleties are allowed, everything always gets pushed to one extreme or the other, everyone is told that their personal experiences are made up, and all reasoned argument (from both sides) gets lost in the madness of lunacy of extremism.

It's infuriating and exhausting, frankly. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting Radarma:

How sad that this post gets so little attention.

Not controversial enough for them. Truth can't be argued with. (At least intelligently)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

You represent the fountain of blame, you really do.

You are, right there, here, ready to offer a plethora of excuses, when all the while, these exact excuses are the crutches that cripple a segment of americans.

You have a good night too lil foster farm bird.

Jay Cee Radarma! Support yourself and quit looking for followers.

:eye roll:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I see many valid points the man made.

I also heard that, while he wants people to take personal responsibility, he is also placing blame else where.

How so?

Sorry, went to a hockey game.  Tired as hell.

What I got from part of what he had to say, is that he feels part of the problem in the black community is the lack of jobs created for them.  The economic status created, or the lack thereof, by our Govt, in order to help the community thrive.

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand yet, if one is to be responsible for their own they need to take responsibility for their own decisions and such and not rely so heavily on the Govt, or others, to make those opportunities appear for them.

I may not be getting out what I am trying to.  Tired.

One more thing, the same can be said for any race.  

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:43 AM
Quoting Radarma:

5. We’re Christians

If your religion is making you more amiable, more successful, and more accepting of others, then keep it. It’s good for you. But if  your religion is the reason for your stupid decisions, like continuing to flock to a church where the “Bishop” is accused of having s*x with boys, or has been charged with embezzlement or securities fraud, then you should quit your church, and maybe even your religion.

If your religion has you focused on something which never impacts your everyday life, like gay marriage, but ignores crime and poverty in the African-American community, then maybe you’re not smart enough for religion. Maybe you should just try to be a good person on your own. Start small.

If your church has you aligned with right wingers, then that’s a clear sign that you’re failing at Christianity. If your religion had you lined up at Chick-fil-A to buy salt saturated chicken sandwiches, then you should quit religion. You’re too gullible.

All I’m saying is that Christianity has a sad legacy of convincing African-Americans  that they are to be rewarded for their  long-suffering, so while others get their rewards here and now, we wait for death.  And while others actually take action to help themselves and their community, we offer empty prayers. That’s not #winning. That was a trick of slavemasters, one we still traffic in, to our own detriment.

I'd like to defend Christianity here.

I think the above is a very one-sided portrayal of the effect of Christian churches upon the black communuty.

To see a glimpse of the other side, read about the impact of the churches in Chicago, mentioned in Obama's book.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:47 AM
Quoting candlegal:

http://www.pjtv.com/s/GEYTINJT

(The Root) -- We caught up with Florida Rep. Allen West at a luncheon for African-American Republicans, organized by young black conservative Stephen Lackey and co-hosted by John Daniels Jr., a black Harvard Law School classmate of Gov. Mitt Romney.

West has drawn fire for once alleging that President Obama wanted Americans to "be his slave," for using the words "get the hell out" during remarks aimed at the president and Democrats, for speculating that as many as 80 Democratic members of Congress are practicing communists and for labeling a Democratic congresswoman "vile" before encouraging her to "shut the heck up." After dismissing his upcoming election opponent as a "chump" at the luncheon, West weighed in on liberal racism, why some Americans should fear him and whether his own party should fear his rhetoric.

The Root: When you hear about what happened to the black CNN camerawoman who had nuts thrown at her and people shouting something about "feed the animals," how do you respond to that? That happened here at the GOP convention.

Rep. Allen West: How do you respond to people calling me an Uncle Tom or sellout?

The Root: How do you respond? What do you think of it? What do you think when people call you an Uncle Tom?

AW: I don't give a dad-gum because it doesn't bother me. I don't understand what happened last night. I wasn't there, so I'm not going to comment, but all this hypocrisy that comes from the other side -- they need to check themselves.

The Root: What hypocrisy?

AW: You don't understand what I mean by the hypocrisy? The hypocrisy of how they treat black conservatives like Condi Rice and Colin Powell, myself -- anyone. Look at that insane letter the Congressional Black Caucus wrote about Artur Davis, calling him a Judas and a traitor. He can't think for himself? This is appalling; it's sad. 

The Root: To be fair, I've actually never heard Condoleezza Rice and Colin Powell called names, and I've heard plenty of black Americans say positive things about them. Do you think people like you are perceived as more extreme, so that's why you face more criticism than a Condoleezza Rice or Colin Powell?

AW: Extreme because of what?

The Root: I'm asking if you think people perceive you as extreme.

AW: I don't care if they perceive me as extreme! If they think the Constitution is extreme -- do they think serving 22 years in [the] military is extreme? Having a family? Wanting to have a balanced budget is extreme? Wanting to have the right type of tax and regulatory policy and access to capital so small business can grow? Wanting to have a strong national defense is that extreme? Believing in family? Believing in our culture? Believing in protecting our borders? Believing in individual sovereignty?

That's not extreme. The extremists are on the other side. Because all they want to do is have more people wedded to government programs, and that's how they have control. I want to unleash the entrepreneurial spirit of this country. That's not extreme.

The Root: You seem to get in the news a lot for putting your foot in your mouth or people thinking that you do --

AW: I haven't put my foot in my mouth.

The Root: You don't think there are conservatives who are nervous you are going to say the wrong thing?

AW: Then why are conservatives always looking up to me and I'm always getting on shows and I continue to speak? Once again, you're trying to brand me as something, and I don't know where this is coming from.

The Root: You've never heard anyone call you controversial?

AW: What's controversial about me? People only call you controversial when they are afraid.

The Root: Do people have a reason to fear you?

AW: People who want to do our country harm.

The Root: If a young black voter is listening, can you give him or her one reason to vote Republican?

AW: Yes. Our future.

(source)

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:01 AM
Quoting Clairwil:

Rep. Allen West: How do you respond to people calling me an Uncle Tom or sellout?

The Root: How do you respond? What do you think of it? What do you think when people call you an Uncle Tom?

AW: I don't give a dad-gum because it doesn't bother me. I don't understand what happened last night. I wasn't there, so I'm not going to comment, but all this hypocrisy that comes from the other side -- they need to check themselves.

The Root: What hypocrisy?

AW: You don't understand what I mean by the hypocrisy? The hypocrisy of how they treat black conservatives like Condi Rice and Colin Powell, myself -- anyone. Look at that insane letter the Congressional Black Caucus wrote about Artur Davis, calling him a Judas and a traitor. He can't think for himself? This is appalling; it's sad. 

The Root: To be fair, I've actually never heard Condoleezza Rice and Colin Powell called names, and I've heard plenty of black Americans say positive things about them. Do you think people like you are perceived as more extreme, so that's why you face more criticism than a Condoleezza Rice or Colin Powell?

As a tea party supporter, I would rate him as being more "extreme" than Colin Powell.   And, since the tea party also seem correlated with the branch of the Republican party who keep making unfortunate statements that make people think what they really want is to send all immigrants (ie brown skinned spanish speakers) 'back to where they came from', I can see why some people call him a sellout. 

For more on both sides of that, see:

1. 13 Outrageous Allen West Comments

2. Ho Sit Down: Black Republican Allen “Uncle Tom” West Attacks Obama And Says Democrats Are Nothin’ But Communists

3. Black gossip site calls Rep. West a 'house slave'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)