Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Gunsmoke dealt with rape and pregnancy?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

I sure do not remember this episode while I was growing up and I was very surprised to see it on tv land today.  No i dont generally watch Gunsmoke as an adult, I did see a lot of it as I was growing up though,.

Pretty racy topic for that show in my opinion.  Thoughts?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

No idea what this show is or about, but here is a bump for ya:)

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I've never seen it.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

No idea what this show is or about, but here is a bump for ya:)

Lol  The term get out of Dodge was born of the show Gunsmoke .  I guess it dates me, sigh.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I never watched it... I'm not surprised, though --there was a lot of adult themes in tv before Disney got a channel.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Gunsmoke was a western that ran from 1955-1975 Starring James Arness as Marshall Dillon the lawman of Dodge:)  Festus was the town drunk and Miss Kitty was the saloon owner (madam but that was very understated)

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

No it wasn't. In my opinion older movies and tv shows were much better at addressing such issues. 

There was a story not too long ago about breaking the abortion taboo in a movie and all I could think is this was done ages ago and more than once.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stormcris:

No it wasn't. In my opinion older movies and tv shows were much better at addressing such issues. 

There was a story not too long ago about breaking the abortion taboo in a movie and all I could think is this was done ages ago and more than once.

There is truth to that.  I know Little House dealt with sexual abuse but it was very subtle.  I guess I havent watched Gunsmoke much as an adult.

I recently watched babydoll, an oscar winner fron 56 I think that was really heavy with sexual inuendo.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree! Many of today's issue where discussed on t.v. many years ago. I remember the after school special dealing with teen pregnancy it was back in the late 70's there was no fluff on the outcome it was just straight facts  

Quoting stormcris:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe it was the longest running drama of all times. (Not certain if that's correct)

Quoting survivorinohio:

Gunsmoke was a western that ran from 1955-1975 Starring James Arness as Marshall Dillon the lawman of Dodge:)  Festus was the town drunk and Miss Kitty was the saloon owner (madam but that was very understated)

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
eema.gray
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Quincy M.E. is another old show that dealt with tons of social issues in quite direct ways.  If there's a social issue involved, you just KNOW that at some point, he's goint to talk with an expert, who runs a clinic, who is passionately speaking about what a terrible injustice is being done to X Y or Z group whether that be airplane safety or battered women or some other cause.  For its time period, it's actually pretty heavy handed on the social messages.  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN