Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Banning a birthday tradition?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM
  • 16 Replies
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

OMG! How stupid

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

sigh..

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

?!?

We weren't allowed to light candles at ANY of my schools growing up, and I was a military brat so I was in a lot of schools.  I suppose it was a non-issue for me.  LOL  And, we almost always used cupcakes b/c of the less mess...

That said, I do absolutely HATE going to a birthday party and seeing a kid blow out the candles and you can SEE the sprinkles of spit hitting the cake...*shivers*  Some kids are just not good "candle blowers" and DO spread a lot of germs around.  Personally, I get the birthday boy a personal cake with a number candle.  But everybody has their own phobias and pet peeves.

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL. I wish that sometimes, before enacting another stupid ban, someone would ask the question "how many people die each year from this?"

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I never did candles on my cupcakes for school hmm.

ethans_momma06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My sons preschool allowed them. I guess it just varies.

Quoting soonergirl980:

I never did candles on my cupcakes for school hmm.

ethans_momma06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM

LOL I get that it can be... unappealing in some instances. I think people were always free to refuse a piece though! It seems... so sad that it's becoming a firm rule though. I mean seriously... of all the things in the world... a drop of child spittle isn't generally any more lethal than being in the same room with them.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

?!?

We weren't allowed to light candles at ANY of my schools growing up, and I was a military brat so I was in a lot of schools.  I suppose it was a non-issue for me.  LOL  And, we almost always used cupcakes b/c of the less mess...

That said, I do absolutely HATE going to a birthday party and seeing a kid blow out the candles and you can SEE the sprinkles of spit hitting the cake...*shivers*  Some kids are just not good "candle blowers" and DO spread a lot of germs around.  Personally, I get the birthday boy a personal cake with a number candle.  But everybody has their own phobias and pet peeves.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Meh, seems like a non-issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I agree there.  I have a spit phobia.  But if we keep going overboard, we ARE going to start getting infections our bodies can't fight off.  Humans are going to get exposed to things.  It happens.  But unless there is an actual outbreak of something, it sounds like they are going overboard.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

LOL I get that it can be... unappealing in some instances. I think people were always free to refuse a piece though! It seems... so sad that it's becoming a firm rule though. I mean seriously... of all the things in the world... a drop of child spittle isn't generally any more lethal than being in the same room with them.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

?!?

ethans_momma06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yeah, they've shown that germ exposure isn't a bad thing, quite the opposite! Super bugs from antibiotics and weak immune systems from no exposure.

And them BAM! Death by birthday cake.

;)

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I agree there.  I have a spit phobia.  But if we keep going overboard, we ARE going to start getting infections our bodies can't fight off.  Humans are going to get exposed to things.  It happens.  But unless there is an actual outbreak of something, it sounds like they are going overboard.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

?!?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured