Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Libby Phelps Alvarez, Former Westboro Baptist Church Member: We Prayed 'For People To Die'

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

The Huffington Post | By Posted: 02/06/2013 11:14 am EST | Updated: 02/06/2013 3:11 pm EST

In March 2009, Libby Phelps Alvarez left the Westboro Baptist Church, saying goodbye to a life of picketing the funerals of dead soldiers and holding up controversial anti-gay signs.

Nearly four years later, the granddaughter of Fred Phelps, Sr., founder and pastor of the Westboro Baptist Church, gave an emotional interview to NBC's "Today Show," in which she described the controlling life of hatred and intolerance that she's left behind.

"They think that they are the only ones who are going to heaven and if you don't go to that church you're going to hell," Alvarez told "Today," explaining that the congregation was driven primarily by its homophobic views.

Phelps Alvarez says she recalls a particular moment when she began to feel she could no longer support the group's efforts.

"There was a point when we started praying for people to die," Phelps Alvarez said. "I didn't actually do that but I was around when they did it."

She's talked about that behavior before. Soon after leaving the congregation, Phelps Alvarez gave a radio interview in which she recalled being forced to "pray for people to die."

Phelps Alvarez isn't the only one to escape the tightly-knit, secretive church, which the Southern Poverty Law Center has described as a cult and hate group. Among former members is Nate Phelps, son of Pastor Fred Phelps Sr., who has spoken openly against some of Westboro's most high-profile demonstrations. In December, he publicly condemned its announced plans to picket the funerals of victims in the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

Click over to the "Today Show" for more on Phelps Alvarez's interview.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I watched the interview on the Today Show.

My heart goes out to her.  I am thrilled to see that she is happy, even if part of her heart aches for the family she lost.

She has courage for speaking out.  

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

So happy these people got out of such a hate filled environment

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Is anyone surprised by this?  They seem like such NICE people at their protests.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I hope that WBC doesn't try to kill these 2 individuals. They haven't gone so far before, but they do appear crazy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Well they don't have to pray for that. Everyone freakin dies
IntactivistMama
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM
That lady deserves a big hug.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I guess they were praying for expedition of the process.

Quoting parentalrights1:

Well they don't have to pray for that. Everyone freakin dies

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Good for her.

lokilover
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Quoting Bookwormy:

I hope that WBC doesn't try to kill these 2 individuals. They haven't gone so far before, but they do appear crazy.

Thankfully, I don't think that will happen. They're not the first two defectors. I believe four of Phelp's children have left the church alone.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
People get tired of nothing but hatred with nothing else to fill the lonely nights. Only special people with dead souls are satisfied with that kind of life
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN