Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2nd-grader suspended over imaginary grenade

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 4 Replies

A seven-year-old boy was suspended from his elementary school for using an imaginary grenade while playing "Rescue the World" on the playground.

The story was featured on Fox 31 Denver. Second-grader Alex Evans pretended to throw a grenade into a box full of, in his words, "pretend evil forces."

"I pretended the box, there's something shaking in it, and I go pshhh," Alex explained.

Unfortunately for Alex, his exploits (heroic as they were) went against Mary Blair Elementary School rules. Those rules include no fighting (real or pretend) and no weapons (real or pretend).

Alex's mom commented that she doesn't think the rule is practical. "Honestly I don’t think the rule is very realistic for kids this age,” Mandie Watkins said. "I think that when a child is trying to save the world, I don’t think he should be punished for it."

Alex is just as perplexed as his mom. "I was trying to save people and I just can’t believe I got dispended," he told Fox 31.

A similar incident took place last month in Pennsylvania when a fifth-grade girl was reprimanded by school officials for bringing a piece of paper in the shape of gun to class.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My question is has it been addressed with him and his parents before. Just because you think a rule is silly (which I agree this one is crazy) that doesn't mean you can just ignore it. Instead take it to the school board, get other parents on your side and fight to change it. 

mandaday
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM
No common sense. Whether the school system likes it or not, children have imaginations. And does anyone else see the potential harm in teaching kids that there is no difference in pretend weapons and real ones?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Kids have imaginations. This is absurd.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I agree! Kids are not allowed to be kids and have an imagination

Quoting Euphoric:

Kids have imaginations. This is absurd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured