Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

?#@!&!!! Swearing, Cussing and otherwise speaking in profanity- what does it say, what does it mean?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM
  • 108 Replies

Can it be powerful or does eloquence resonate louder?  Can it itself be elequent?

Is proper use of profanity a communication skill?

Whats your opinion of profanity?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SWasson
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM
7 moms liked this

Every word has its place.

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM
5 moms liked this
I only use cuss words when I am beyond ticked off. My dh know that if I drop an f bomb something serious just happened. Like extremely serious. I often say, "if you hear me cuss, you better start running because things are about to go down".
krysstizzle
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM
7 moms liked this
My opinion on cursing and its appropriateness is a bit changeable. But mostly I use curse words like any other in conversations with friends and acquaintances. I find them to be handy expressions.

But. I don't curse in front if my grandparents or those who are uncomfortable with it. It's not a necessary part of myself, and I see no reason to be an asshole to people to make a point i'm not invested in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't use it public, or in front of my children. I use amongst family or friends who also use it.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM
13 moms liked this

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Exactly this. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

My opinion on cursing and its appropriateness is a bit changeable. But mostly I use curse words like any other in conversations with friends and acquaintances. I find them to be handy expressions.

But. I don't curse in front if my grandparents or those who are uncomfortable with it. It's not a necessary part of myself, and I see no reason to be an asshole to people to make a point i'm not invested in.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I'm with Lewis Black

I have no problem with profanity as long as it's not constant. One must know how to tell the time and place. IMO a good curse in just the right place can have a powerful impact.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM

This was my uncle as a kid....You! girl fucking can you fuckin go to the fucking shop and get the fucking paper.  Eloquent it was not....LOL

I am very UN witty when angry or upset....so a big fuck you can communicate exactly what I need to say.

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I use them a lot when I speak. Online though, I hardly ever use them. I am thinking them, I just don't type them. I think they are just words. I don't type them because I feel like they express how I am feeling at that moment, and I don't want to go back to a past conversation online with a different feeling and have the conversation no longer make sense or have the same emotion. IDK. I guess that was kind of confusing, but whatever (F*CK IT is what I am thinking lmao).

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's a good way of getting a point across when one is REALLY frustrated or angry.  There are definitely places it doesn't belong, but it doesn't bother me when it's neccessary.  I know it at least makes me feel a teensy bit better when I'm angry.  And I don't think that if I said "Gosh, I'm incredibly upset by this darn situation!!!"  that it would resonate quite as well as "Goddamnit I'm sick of this shit!!!", even if the tone of voice were exactly the same. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN