Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

should fertility testing be a requirement... (S/O of sorts)

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM
  • 103 Replies
3 moms liked this

...of marriage?

I often see those against Same Sex Marriage argue that marriage is for the procreation of children and that there is a societal benefit to protect partnerships that create children.  

There are many heterosexual couples that are unable to have children.  Should the state require proof that a couple can procreate before they provide a license to sanction the union?  

Should the state require a couple procreate in a set period of time to avoid the automatic dissolution of their marriage?  

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Bump... 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM
3 moms liked this

If one were to use the excuse of children to deny ssm then yes everyone must have fertility treatments and be required to have 2.5 children - ie at least two and adopt a dog.

SARCASM

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I do not know about that Op but I do beleive there may be a law still in some books that allows for the dissolution of a marriage on the grounds that the partner was /is infertile and unable to procreate.

Wasn't it Henry VIII who killed his wives becasue his wives did not birth a son? 

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Quoting mikiemom:

If one were to use the excuse of children to deny ssm then yes everyone must have fertility treatments and be required to have 2.5 children - ie at least two and adopt a dog.

SARCASM

Can we swap out the dog and have an extra kid instead? I really do not care for dogs (not that there's anything wrong with them).

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM

It's either 1 dog - or 2 cats or a bird  - anymore actual children and you start overpopulating the earth - sorry you have to get that .5 without going over into the 3s - see I mean that's logical right, I bet I can even find a passage in the bible that supports it.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting mikiemom:

SARCASM

Can we swap out the dog and have an extra kid instead? I really do not care for dogs (not that there's anything wrong with them).

HeathersForever
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

That is not exactly how it happened.

He got a divorce from his first wife.

He had his second wife killed because he thought she was having affairs, and he his interests had turned elsewhere. He tried her for treason. She was not having affairs.

His third wife died in childbirth, and gave him...a SON!

His fourth wife the marriage was never consumated because he thought she was ugly so he had it annulled.

His fifth wife WAS having affairs and was far too young for him so he had her tried for treason and killed.

And his sixth wife outlived him.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I do not know about that Op but I do beleive there may be a law still in some books that allows for the dissolution of a marriage on the grounds that the partner was /is infertile and unable to procreate.

Wasn't it Henry VIII who killed his wives becasue his wives did not birth a son? 

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM

What about guinea pigs? Do they count? 

Quoting mikiemom:

It's either 1 dog - or 2 cats or a bird  - anymore actual children and you start overpopulating the earth - sorry you have to get that .5 without going over into the 3s - see I mean that's logical right, I bet I can even find a passage in the bible that supports it.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting mikiemom:

SARCASM

HeathersForever
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

oh and as for the OP just like with SSM, marriage should be about love, we have no right to decide who has kids. Everyone has a right to marry.

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM

You can't test, bc there are treatments and the only way to see if IVF for example is sucessful, would be to do it. You can't go around impregnating before marriage to 'test'. Also, if a heterosexual couple adopts, statistically they raise the child/ren with just barely below the same sucessful outcomes as biological parents (but not equivalent). Homosexual parenting deny the fact that both a mother & father r needed in parenting. And the istiution of marriage is all about how children turn out.

joyfullem
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Those tests are expensive and invasive! Who is going to pay for it?  A set period of time, what if you lose your job would that be an exception?  This whole post is silly do youwant the government telling you when to have kids how many to have and when to stop? Apples and oranges.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)