Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

spin off adoption post Case for infant adoption

Posted by   + Show Post

What about in cases such as ours where we adopted six infants out of foster. They were all taken from drug addicted violent bio moms. We have had them since birth. Should infant adoptions be banned? If so what happens to these babies?  It just so happens today is the 13th birthday of my adopted daughter. Her biomom had walked into a hospital six times before in full labor high as a kite and given birth only to abandon the babies and walk out. When she gave birth they took her from the bio mom and placed her with us because we already had her brother.   She is thriving beautiful and happy. So what would have happened to her if infant adoption were banned?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:24 AM
Replies (31-36):
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

You are exactly what that little girl needed. You are making a difference, and I'm sure it wasn't easy.

The mom made choices, and needs to deal with her own consequences, thankfully, you got her little girl, and gave her a great loving home. IT's people like you who are making a positive difference... :)

I really don't understand the thought process of the other post, honestly not even worth the time of a discussion or response.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Quoting momaof8:

You are really off base  and have no way to know how OUR family feels. I KNOW FOR MY KIDS WE ARE THEIR PARENTS PERIOD. They were just a few days old when we got them and they know about the women who left them in various dangerous situations. Trust me an angry teenager hides nothing.

I get that you're defensive. You certainly cannot expect everyone to share your opinions on the matter. It's going to be rare that two or more people will have the exact same experiences and feelings on any given topic especially one as seemingly heated as this one.

If you want to vent then go for it. Just don't expect people to get aboard the boo-hoo train.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

no one is asking for sympathy and you are free to express your own opinion on the topic which you haven't done

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting momaof8:

You are really off base  and have no way to know how OUR family feels. I KNOW FOR MY KIDS WE ARE THEIR PARENTS PERIOD. They were just a few days old when we got them and they know about the women who left them in various dangerous situations. Trust me an angry teenager hides nothing.

I get that you're defensive. You certainly cannot expect everyone to share your opinions on the matter. It's going to be rare that two or more people will have the exact same experiences and feelings on any given topic especially one as seemingly heated as this one.

If you want to vent then go for it. Just don't expect people to get aboard the boo-hoo train.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Quoting momaof8:

no one is asking for sympathy and you are free to express your own opinion on the topic which you haven't done

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting momaof8:

I agree with the other posters who've said that this topic is slightly different because of the situations. Fostering kids and adopting kids that are removed from the home are different than parents who 'choose' to give their children up for adoption. Also, IMO you didn't 'get' the topic of the post your S/O stems from. That post was about parents/mothers who choose to put their children up for adoption and the psycological damage that might occur. My reply within that thread was that there should be more mental health support for women and parents who give their children up for adoption.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

It seems the completely logical answers in this post get completely ignored. It is the interent version of selective hearing, it would seem.

Quoting onethentwins:

What you're talking about is exactly what adoption should be about. The children have been removed from their parents by the courts and are in need of a family. The type of adoption that you have done is commonly called Foster Adoption, despite the fact that they were infants. No one is suggesting that foster adoption should be banned. Great news that your daughter was placed with you and her brother, btw. 

The other post was referring to Domestic Infant Adoption where a woman is in crisis pregnancy and goes into a for crisis pregnancy advice. Cases where the mother is not on drugs, where the new born is not in danger from it's mother. That type of adoption is driven by money, funded by couples that want a child. And I think the overwhelming consensus was that type of adoption should be reformed not banned. 

onethentwins
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah OP. What's up with that?

Thanks frog.

Quoting frogbender:

It seems the completely logical answers in this post get completely ignored. It is the interent version of selective hearing, it would seem.

Quoting onethentwins:

What you're talking about is exactly what adoption should be about. The children have been removed from their parents by the courts and are in need of a family. The type of adoption that you have done is commonly called Foster Adoption, despite the fact that they were infants. No one is suggesting that foster adoption should be banned. Great news that your daughter was placed with you and her brother, btw. 

The other post was referring to Domestic Infant Adoption where a woman is in crisis pregnancy and goes into a for crisis pregnancy advice. Cases where the mother is not on drugs, where the new born is not in danger from it's mother. That type of adoption is driven by money, funded by couples that want a child. And I think the overwhelming consensus was that type of adoption should be reformed not banned. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)