Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pastor apologizes for role in prayer vigil after Connecticut massacre

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:34 AM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

Pastor apologizes for role in prayer vigil after Connecticut massacre

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A Connecticut Lutheran pastor has apologized for participating in aninterfaith prayer vigil for the 26 children and adults killed at a Newtown elementary school in December because his church bars its clergy from worshiping with other faiths.

The December prayer vigil was attended by President Barack Obama, leaders from Christian, Muslim and Jewish faiths, and relatives of the 20 first graders who were gunned down in their classrooms two days earlier after a gunman entered their school.

The December 14 shooting shook the nation and led to calls for improved school security, gun control and better mental health care.

The pastor, Rob Morris of Newtown's Christ the King Lutheran Church, provided the closing benediction at the interfaith event.

Earlier this month, the president of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, Pastor Matthew Harrison, wrote a letter to church members saying he had requested an apology from Morris for his participation in "joint worship with other religions."

"There is sometimes a real tension between wanting to bear witness to Christ and at the same time avoiding situations which may give the impression that our differences with respect to who God is, who Jesus is, how he deals with us, and how we get to heaven, really don't matter in the end," Harrison wrote.

"There will be times in this crazy world when, for what we believe are all the right reasons, we may step over the scriptural line," he wrote.

Harrison said he had accepted Morris' apology.

This is not the first time a Lutheran leader has been chastised for participating in a community service in the wake of a local tragedy.

David Benke, a Lutheran pastor in New York, was suspended for praying at an interfaith vigil in 2001, 12 days after the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center. Benke, who had refused to apologize for the incident, was reinstated in 2003.

In his own letter to his church, Morris wrote it was not his intent to endorse "false teaching" and apologized to those who believed he had.

"I did not believe my participation to be an act of joint worship, but one of mercy and care to a community shocked and grieving an unspeakably horrific event," he wrote. "I apologize where I have caused offense by pushing Christian freedom too far, and I request you charitably receive my apology."

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:36 AM
1 mom liked this

what a shame! My husband is a minister and our church does many inter faith things in the community. I was surprised to see this

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Sincw when should Pastor (or any faith leader) have to apologize for helping a community heal? Is that what God would want? I don't think so. Disgraceful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarenNEIA
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I heard about this back in 2001 when the other Pastor was "chastised" for it. I was shocked. I think it is sad and it's not a church I would want to belong to. They also do not allow women to have a say in the church and believe they are only allowed to teach Sunday School and cook. But, please keep in mind this is the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, and not the beliefs of the other branches of Lutheran Church such as the ELCA.

teri4lance
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Cue mega eye rolls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Ok... I was confused because Lutherans are generally pretty left leaning.
Thanks for clarifying!

Quoting KarenNEIA:

I heard about this back in 2001 when the other Pastor was "chastised" for it. I was shocked. I think it is sad and it's not a church I would want to belong to. They also do not allow women to have a say in the church and believe they are only allowed to teach Sunday School and cook. But, please keep in mind this is the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, and not the beliefs of the other branches of Lutheran Church such as the ELCA.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Very sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Very sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:52 AM
What a horrible practice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:54 AM

WOW

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Well alrighty then. If your god found the interfaith memorial in Connecticut wrong - well I guess I don't want to be right. - there is a song in there. This is absolutely disheartening to hear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)