Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Chicago police no longer responding to all 911 calls

Posted by   + Show Post

Chicago police no longer responding to all 911 calls

Chicago police: Chicago police watch as demonstrators attend the National Nurses United Chicago Rally protesting the G8 and Global One Percent. IMAGE

To free up more officers to deal with the most serious crimes, 911 dispatchers will no longer send officers to attend calls deemed less pressing.

Chicago police are no longer responding in person to 911 calls reporting vehicle theft, garage burglary or simple assault in a change aimed at freeing up officers to deal with more serious crimes.

According to a report in the Chicago Sun-Times, the change came into effect on Sunday and also covers crime where the victim is "safe, secure and not in need of medical attention" and the offender is "not on the scene and not expected to return immediately."

Chicago authorities are hoping the change frees up more officers to attend to the most serious crimes, such as serious assaults and murders.

Instead of sending officers, 911 dispatchers have been told to transfer the calls to the Chicago Police Department’s Alternate Response Section, which is staffed by officers on light duty.

In 2012, the Alternate Response Section dealt with 74,000 reports. Victims of crime had the choice of filing a report over the phone or requesting that an officer attend in person when one was available. That number of reports is expected to double, but the choice of asking for an officer to attend will no longer be available.

The change is expected to free up the equivalent of 44 officers a day.

Dispatchers have reportedly been told to transfer calls if "the offender is gone, not expected to 'return immediately' and an officer is not needed for a prompt investigation; an officer on the scene would 'not result in an immediate arrest'; and the victim is safe, secure and not in need of medical attention."

The Sun-Times goes on to quote Chicago Deputy Chief-of-Patrol Steve Georgas, who said police forces throughout the United States are looking for ways to become more efficient.

"This is just a little piece that we think is going to help us in keeping cops up and free for patrol work. I don’t think we're looking for huge gains. It's probably only going to equate to 40 to 45 officers a watch," he said.

Georgas added that he did not think the change will be difficult for residents to get used to.

"It's a traumatic thing being the victim of a crime. This will be a little more convenient for them as well," he said. "They're still getting police service from a sworn police officer. But it's over the phone, and it's only in certain situations. Those officers are trained in what to ask. If certain things come up, they'll be able to transfer that back over to dispatch, and we'll immediately send an officer out."

However, some Chicago aldermen suggested the changes will prove difficult to accept for crime victims.

"I can understand if it's [to report] somebody spray-painted my trash can. But people want to see an officer when it gets up to a certain level of crime. They're setting the bar pretty high for police not to respond," said Alderman Scott Waguespack.

"When you're talking about someone's garage being broken into and you've had three or four neighbors with the same thing, people have an expectation of having an officer on location to assess the situation," he said. "If no officer shows up, they're going to assume it's going to keep happening. They'll feel this is scaling back even more. There'll be a lot of people angry."

source

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Replies (121-128):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

From what I am understanding, anything from a verbal threat to do harm to someone putting their hands on you is considered simple assault. So basically if someone strikes you and knocks you down but leaves, CPD wants you to only call and file. Even if this person says he's coming back to shoot you. 

Quoting lga1965:

Its hard to define what a "simple assault" is. Would that be a domestic dispute? or someone hitting a person in public? Home buglary? Call the police, not 911,and explain. I have no idea what you can do --but I still say there are too mnay lame and stupid 911 calls. I know a cop and you would laugh at the reasons people call 911.

Quoting fireangel5:

They also will not respond to home burglaries and simple assaults. I pay a lot of money in taxes yet I am not afforded the amount of police protection as other neighborhoods, leaving my area basically vacant of police presence. 

Quoting lga1965:

This article did not say that they won't respond to ALL 911 calls. The title of this thread is skewed and inaccurate.

One example of a minor incident was "a garage being broken into". I can understand that. My garage was broken into and my lawnmower was stolen. I didn't call 911! What the heck good would that do? LOL. I would only be venting , wasting their time and you can bet my lawnmower would never be found. People call 911 for stupid reasons all the time. The police do need to concentrate on serious 911 calls. But they have a huge responsibility to decide which are the serious crimes.

I see a trend  (actually a fad)....Chicago bashing. Too many posts bashing Chicago.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM

They used to send actual CPD officers. Who knows what's gonna happen now. 

Quoting Woodbabe:

The article says they aren't sending actual officers in response to these calls. They DO have a non-emergency line and normally they'd send someone when they were available, it may take a few hours. This article clearly states that they won't be doing THAT any longer. SO if someone comes smashing all the car windows in the neighborbood tonight, stealing stuff out of cars, no one is going to come check it out and try to investigate who is doing it. You just call it in and make a report over the phone. Seems like that actually makes it easier to falsify reports for insurance purposes...

Quoting lga1965:

This article did not say that they won't respond to ALL 911 calls. The title of this thread is skewed and inaccurate.

One example of a minor incident was "a garage being broken into". I can understand that. My garage was broken into and my lawnmower was stolen. I didn't call 911! What the heck good would that do? LOL. I would only be venting , wasting their time and you can bet my lawnmower would never be found. People call 911 for stupid reasons all the time. The police do need to concentrate on serious 911 calls. But they have a huge responsibility to decide which are the serious crimes.

I see a trend  (actually a fad)....Chicago bashing. Too many posts bashing Chicago.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

It's not the police. THey don't like the red tape and having their hands tied when it comes to doing their job. This is about a numbers game. Police respond less, fewer people will wait an hour on hold at 311 or drive to a shit area to wait around for an hour or more to file a report, on paper, crime goes down. Rahm is all about shuffling # not actually changing the stats. 

Quoting candlegal:

so we are paying them why?

Quoting fireangel5:

I know, it's sad isn't it?

Quoting Woodbabe:

The Supreme Court has ruled that they don't have a duty to protect anyone, they're just there to take names and sweep up the ashes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

ustices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

Quoting fireangel5:

And depending on what area of hte city you are in, the time it takes to get a squad to respond is pathetic due to the fact that we are so short officers. My area has only one squad for a huge area and sadly, that one sqad is always over east rather than their beat area.  I don't plan on getting rid of my personal defense weapon, I can' rely on the police to help in a timely manner. 

Quoting Woodbabe:

So they don't want you to have guns to protect yourself and your property, and they cops aren't going to come if called...

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting Woodbabe:

So they don't want you to have guns to protect yourself and your property, and they cops aren't going to come if called...

How is a gun going to help you if you were at work and your garage or home was broken into?

I didn't say it would...just pointing out the hypocrisy. "We don't want you able to take care of yourself, but we're not here to really take care of you either". The police aren't responsible if you're injured or killed by another person, yet they don't want the victim to accept any responsibility for protecting themselves either. May as well give the bad guys a free pass. They have more rights anyway.

I see what you are saying ...but respectfully disagree :-)

"we dont want you able to take care of yourself, but we're not here to really take care of your either"

IMO in order for it to be hypocritical the second part of the sentence would have to be true...I dont believe it is.

The police have a responsibility to the wider community....just like an emergency department.  Worse cases first.  Someone in danger of losing their life trumps someones car being stolen.  They are picking and choosing who is in distress more...but its something they have to do in order to be efficient.

Who is giving them a free pass? 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM

OK...now that is just fucked.  They dont respond to HOME INVASION?!  WTF.  I thought life threatening calls would be responded to?

Quoting fireangel5:

You can ring 311 if you want but they will tell you they don't respond to home invasions any longer. So you or your neighbor better strap on your balls and go check the house. If you find the burglar still there, feel free to call back and they will send someone when they can :)

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So, if I came home and found the door kicked in...indicating a burglary....I am just going to have to make a report over the phone.....what if the burglar is still in there?  I am supposed to search the house myself?

I think there are so gray areas that I hope they have addressed...but aren't in the article.

Common sense would tell me to remove myself and get help from neighbours or friends or ring the police non emergency line to ask advice.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Thats weird and sad :-(

Every suburb here has its own police station or beat (community police has only one car)  The poorer areas have the biggest stations with the most police (bar the city police station which is the biggest but has the least problems)  Police cars can overlap into other districts if needed....but to pull police from all over the city is just ridiculous.

So the rich areas will always have their police station and plenty of police still in that area...mainly because they are miles away from the troubled areas.

Quoting fireangel5:

Umm, no. The lower crime areas have the fewest police available. My area is far from wealthy but we have low violent crime, we don't ever see a squad on patrol. My brother, my cousins and my S/O are ALWAYS east in the shitter areas of town leaving their loved ones totally unprotected. Check out what was happening last summer in the "wealthy" area of the Mag mile and Lincoln Park. No police around then. Why? They were too busy on the West sides and south east sides. 

Quoting turtle68:

Oh I see...conveniently elsewhere or tending to more pressing needs?

So to live in a more affluent area...you would still have police to attend to all needs as they dont seem to have anything more pressing?

Quoting mehamil1:

It gets sent over the radio. The cops who are within a certain distance show up. I guess many happened to be close by that night. I'm also not far away from a fire station. 

I think the 911 operators do as they are supposed to. The cops just don't show up to certain areas. 

Quoting turtle68:

Thanks for your insight into Chicago :-)

To the highlighted....Im curious if they can get away with doing that "on the books" and then actually keep it under wraps.  The only way IMO that could occur is if the 911 operator actually forwarded a certain address as normal processing ...unlike a bad area address and diverting it.

Thats a lot of mouths to keep closed.

Quoting mehamil1:

Only certain parts. I've lived here my entire life. I have never lived anywhere else. My parents and grandparents were also born and raised here. The south and west sides are crime ridden because those areas are deeply impoverished and underdeveloped. There was a fire in the 1960s that took down a good portion of a south side neighborhood. The burned out buildings are still there. I've seen them. 

The northside is relitively safe. Murder is almost unheard of on the north and northwest sides. 

This new policy will only apply if no one is in any danger. After the asshole ran off, I was no longer in danger so there was no need to call the police. 

What I want to know is if this policy will only affect the crime ridden areas. In November of 2012, a guy high off his ass crashed into my dad's parked car in front of our house. We called 911 and it seemed like every cop in the 17th district showed up. It was late at night so maybe they had nothing better to do. This is a quiet area. But 6 cop cars, 2 fire trucks and an ambulance seemed a bit overkill. 

We don't know what happened to the kid who crashed into my dad's car. He was a teenager from a northern suburb who took his parents car for a joy ride. He probably came into the city to buy drugs. That happens a great deal as well. Weathly white kids come into the city to buy coke and weed and heroin. 

Quoting SuperJo:

What happened to you might not be what happened to someone else. Police are supposed to protect and serve, not pick and choose. I think this is a bad move as Chicago is a notoriously dangerous city a lot of times.
Quoting mehamil1:

My dad's car has been stolen a number of times. We don't bother to call the police. We go to the station and report it. There is no need to call and expect an officer to come out when we can go to the station and file the report. The police have better things to do. I was assaulted in October of 2011. I didn't call the police because the fuck face ran off after I dented his head with my elbow. I went to the station to report it. 

Our home has never been broken into. Probably because we have a giant black dog. 

If the crime has already been done and the asshole is not around, there is no need to call the police and expect them to show up. We must go to the station to report this stuff after the fact. 

Quoting SuperJo:
A stolen vehicle, burglary, and assault are serious crimes. Unless an officer comes out to assess the situation, the severity level cannot be determined properly. This is a bad, bad move, Chicago. Very bad.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Yes it is sad. I think we all deserve to have police protection. All summer they were pouring cops into these high crime areas but it didn't really make a difference, didn't lower the murder rate. The gangs here are out of control. 

Quoting turtle68:

Thats weird and sad :-(

Every suburb here has its own police station or beat (community police has only one car)  The poorer areas have the biggest stations with the most police (bar the city police station which is the biggest but has the least problems)  Police cars can overlap into other districts if needed....but to pull police from all over the city is just ridiculous.

So the rich areas will always have their police station and plenty of police still in that area...mainly because they are miles away from the troubled areas.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Only if the guy is stil on the scene, if he runs as you are calling, sadly you are out of luck. THey won't come if some thug knocks your mom down and says he'll come back to get you too. They want you to call and file. :-/ I know a few people who have recently called 311 to report something and have given up, after 3 different times of calling. Fewer reports filed makes it look as if there is less crime, on paper anyway. That's what this is about in reality. To play with numbers to make it look as if Rahm is cleaning up crime here. 

Quoting turtle68:

OK...now that is just fucked.  They dont respond to HOME INVASION?!  WTF.  I thought life threatening calls would be responded to?

Quoting fireangel5:

You can ring 311 if you want but they will tell you they don't respond to home invasions any longer. So you or your neighbor better strap on your balls and go check the house. If you find the burglar still there, feel free to call back and they will send someone when they can :)

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So, if I came home and found the door kicked in...indicating a burglary....I am just going to have to make a report over the phone.....what if the burglar is still in there?  I am supposed to search the house myself?

I think there are so gray areas that I hope they have addressed...but aren't in the article.

Common sense would tell me to remove myself and get help from neighbours or friends or ring the police non emergency line to ask advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN