Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It’s One Of The Craziest Internet Rumors About Guns. And As It Turns Out, It’s True.

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 133 Replies
4 moms liked this

It’s One Of The Craziest Internet Rumors About Guns. And As It Turns Out, It’s True.

It’s a fact so jaw-dropping it’s unbelievable — people thought it was a crazy Internet rumor until Politifact verified it. But it’s true: More Americans have died just since 1960 from gun incidents — suicides, accidents, and homicides — than died in every war in U.S. history. The deadliest war the U.S. has ever had is the war we waged against ourselves. 

This is what happens when American freedoms are given more importance than American lives.

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this

There has been more gun control legistlation since then than before. Death rates were less early in the 20th century before guns were made taboo and looked at as a bad thing. What does that tell you? And this number also included bad guys killed by police, bad guys killed in self defense and suicide which would have happened no matter what the fashion to get it done was(people who truly want to die will find a way).

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

My comment was speaking more towards the mental mindset of Americans.  

I do want to add, though, studies show that gun owners and their families have a higher rate of suicide.  The higher rates of suicide cannot be explained by higher suicidal behavior by gun owners versus non-owners, but can be explained by easy access to a gun.  There is also overwhelming evidence that indicates gun availability is a risk factor for teen suicide.

Peanutx3
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I am curious what the number would be without suicides in there.

Peanutx3
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting.  This reminds me that I need to change where I keep the combination to the gun safe.

Quoting PurdueMom:

My comment was speaking more towards the mental mindset of Americans.  

I do want to add, though, studies show that gun owners and their families have a higher rate of suicide.  The higher rates of suicide cannot be explained by higher suicidal behavior by gun owners versus non-owners, but can be explained by easy access to a gun.  There is also overwhelming evidence that indicates gun availability is a risk factor for teen suicide.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

There has been more gun control legistlation since then than before. Death rates were less early in the 20th century before guns were made taboo and looked at as a bad thing. What does that tell you? And this number also included bad guys killed by police, bad guys killed in self defense and suicide which would have happened no matter what the fashion to get it done was(people who truly want to die will find a way).

Your last statement is untrue. Suicide rates based on gun have a higher fatality rate than most other methods.

If someone cuts their throat they only have a 50ish% chance of dying. If someone cuts their wrist they have a 10%ish chance of dying. If they put a bag over there head that is a 20ish% chance of dying. They try to overdose on non-prescription drugs and their chance of dying is extremely low 6%.

A gun shot to the head has a 97% fatality rate.

Of course there are ways to move the faility rate up like cyanide, hanging, or jumping off a cliff. But if you removed a gun from someone's hand and they go for the next easiest method at their hands. There is a decent chance they will live and be able to get help.

"bad" guys killed by police should count. The police often kill them because those 'bad' guys have guns too. If you look at countries where guns are much harder to get the rate that 'bad' guys are killed is way lower as well.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

nickellmomof2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I found this, it's only one year, but suicides are a pretty big chunk!

Types of Firearm deaths - 1993 :

TypeNumber
Suicide18,940
Firearm homicide18,571
Handgun homicide13,980
Justifiable homicide          251
Accidental1,521
Undetermined563
Total39,595

In 1993, the FBI counted 24,526 murders ( 13,980 by handguns )
yet only 251 of these were justifiable homicides by civilians using handguns.
This is only one percent of all murders!

However, "justifiable homicide" is a narrowly-defined legal term, meaning the killing of an assailant in self-defense, and as a last resort. For example, shooting someone for stealing your car is not considered justifiable homicide (unless your life is in danger).

my source:  http://pearlyabraham.tripod.com/htmls/myth-guns2.html

Quoting Peanutx3:

Peanutx3
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Hmmm interesting.  Thank you for digging the information up.

Quoting nickellmomof2:

TypeNumber
Suicide18,940
Firearm homicide18,571
Handgun homicide13,980
Accidental1,521
Undetermined563
Total39,595

However, "justifiable homicide" is a narrowly-defined legal term, meaning the killing of an assailant in self-defense, and as a last resort. For example, shooting someone for stealing your car is not considered justifiable homicide (unless your life is in danger).

Quoting Peanutx3:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Wow

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Very interesting.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

It's crazy that there was three times as many accidental deaths than justifiable homicides.  You always hear that but it just seems different when you look at the numbers.

Quoting nickellmomof2:

TypeNumber
Suicide18,940
Firearm homicide18,571
Handgun homicide13,980
Accidental1,521
Undetermined563
Total39,595

Quoting Peanutx3:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured