Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this advertisement is sexist?

Posted by   + Show Post

Florida Logo Is Definitely Sexist but That's Not the Worst Part

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on February 6, 2013 

Florida LogoPeople are up in arms about a new logo unveiled by the state Florida. It's designed to promote economic development, but many think it promotes sexism instead.

And honestly, it does. Designed by Enterprise Florida, it reads: "Florida: the Perfect Climate for Business." Which is fine, but instead an "i" they used a tie. You know the kind MEN wear with their suits.

I tend to be pretty slow to jump on the political correctness outrage bandwagon unless something is pretty blatant. In many cases I think people are overreacting and read too much into things. But a tie? How many women do you know that wear a tie? Can you imagine them ever inserting a tube of lipstick or a high-heeled shoe for the "i" instead in something like this? 

According to Fox2, a spokesman for Enterprise Florida said the logo was reviewed by two boards, one of which included 25 women who serve as chief marketing officers. I'm shocked none  objected.  Now, I don't think it was designed intentionally because they don't want women in business, but I think it was a huge error in judgment. Because the last thing you want to do with an ad to get people to feel good about bringing to your state is to piss them off.

I asked my husband if he thinks it's sexist, and he said not at all. When I told him that I thought it was and why, he said, "You're completely overreacting." Maybe so, but I still think they could have come up with something more gender neutral.

Worse than any sexism, however,  it's just a bad logo. I know very few men who even wear ties these days so it makes it seem outdated, and the whole thing is just dull.  It's not all that attractive, and it really wouldn't make me look twice. For the reported $380,000 that thing cost, ($380,00!!!) you would think they'd get something better than that. Sounds like bad business all together.

Do you think this advertisement is sexist?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Replies (31-40):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

No, I've worn a tie before : ) Everyone said I looked great in it, lol

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Women wear ties and ties are universal for representing business. When you see a man or woman on a plane dressed in a tie do you think business trip or vacation?

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Damnit. JK Rowling is totally sexist too! :(

moniagee
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM
How is it sexist? There are women that wear ties...like me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I don't think it's sexist or was meant to be. 

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM

No, not sexist.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I can't believe what people read into things...every single advertising, media blip, etc does NOT have to be 100% gender neutral and inclusive of every breathing human being. Is it discriminatory for not having the word enclosed in wheelchair wheels on either end? And its green and orange, obviously discriminating against anyone of a different sports team...derrrr. People are idiots.

smushy79
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:05 AM

No, doesnt bother me one bit.

MotherofMiles
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM
No
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

This is ridiculous, no, it is not sexist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured