Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Black family claims Disney’s White Rabbit character refused to touch their kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Could an actor playing the White Rabbit be racist?

Disneyland is being sued by Jason and Annelia Black, who say their African-American children were treated differently than white kids who approached the “Alice in Wonderland” character for hugs and pictures at the Anaheim, Calif., amusement park.

According to Fox5SanDiego.com, 6-year-old Jason Black Jr. approached his favorite character at the park, but was rebuffed. Jason told the station, “I went to hug him, but he turned his back. It’s made me feel sad because I wanted to really hug him.”

Older brother Elijah reportedly then tried to hold the rabbit’s hand, but was pushed away. At first, Jason Black Sr. thought perhaps a new “no touch” policy had been implemented in the park, until he observed the same character hugging the white children who approached him around the same time.

Black told local news station CBS2 Los Angeles that the White Rabbit had behaved warmly with the white children: “The rabbit ... hugged them, kissed them, posed with them and took pictures. Meanwhile, that made my kids feel horrible."

The family immediately complained to the park and were offered VIP passes, which they reportedly refused. CBS2 also reports that the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. Instead, the Blacks are asking Disney for a public apology and to fire the actor portraying the White Rabbit.

Yahoo News contacted Disney for a comment, but did not hear back.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM
3 moms liked this

This is surprising. Very surprising. I can't imagine that happening. My first thought was did the kids just run up and not get in the line? There are usually lines to see the characters.  

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM
2 moms liked this
My DD is 3 and her two favorite characters right now are the White Rabbit & the Cheshire Cat.

If they ignored her or god forbid pushed her away and then hugged other children I would be livid.

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting parentalrights1:

Well they may not want the actor treating someone that way in the future.

The money just sounds like a "sweep it under the rug" move

Quoting Radarma:

It's in the news, if ppl wanna see it.

They are suing, even after Disney offered them some 400 bucks in guest passes.

What a crock of shit. THIS is why racism claims are not taken seriously anymore.

Yeah, right. I am sure the kid a.) even knew who the white rabbit is, and b.) was really broken up inside about the alleged brush off.

And c....of course if the child was not given adequate attention (according to the family) then by golly it just MUST be racism!

Crock. of. Shit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

If this really happened I agree with the family.

Disney offering money and trying to make them sign a confidentiality form? Seriously! That sounds like bribery to keep their mouths shut.

Ya, it doesn't sound all that great but it is done routinely.  When ever something happens in any of the parks, if there is a complaint that Disney feels warrant confidentiality, as to not hurt their reputation, they automatically go for the agreement.  Sometimes people take them up on it, other times not so much.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

My DD is 3 and her two favorite characters right now are the White Rabbit & the Cheshire Cat.

If they ignored her or god forbid pushed her away and then hugged other children I would be livid.

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting parentalrights1:

Well they may not want the actor treating someone that way in the future.

The money just sounds like a "sweep it under the rug" move

Quoting Radarma:

What a crock of shit. THIS is why racism claims are not taken seriously anymore.

Yeah, right. I am sure the kid a.) even knew who the white rabbit is, and b.) was really broken up inside about the alleged brush off.

And c....of course if the child was not given adequate attention (according to the family) then by golly it just MUST be racism!

Crock. of. Shit.

lol, go right ahead and BE livid.

Or you could just shrug it off and move along and enjoy the rest of your day, knowing your child will not crumble and melt over a possible slight. Or not.

areid1023
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM
5 moms liked this

this makes no sense. you are less inclined to believe discrimination actually took place because the parent's didnt accept a pay off (in guest passes back to the place where the offense occurred)? 

Quoting Radarma:

my little bug! 11-29-08

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

This is surprising. Very surprising. I can't imagine that happening. My first thought was did the kids just run up and not get in the line? There are usually lines to see the characters.  

They are reviewing tapes and I look forward to reading what these tapes reveal.

Interesting that the boy is in a photo shortly after this experience where he is shown to be smiling.

Musta been pretty broken up.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I have to admit, this surprised me as well.  I wasn't there so I certainly can't speak with any certainty but these employees are trained and trained well.  That isn't to say it appeared as if the rabbit could not be bothered or such.

Just do not for certain if this happened as the parents stated.  Or otherwise. 

They went to automatically claim racism.  I do have to wonder if the employee in that suit is white or otherwise.  

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Um, no, one had nothing to do with the other.

I don't believe their claims for a second.

Quoting areid1023:

this makes no sense. you are less inclined to believe discrimination actually took place because the parent's didnt accept a pay off (in guest passes back to the place where the offense occurred)? 

Quoting Radarma:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Dar, correct me if I am wrong but are you trying to say that.....if this same thing happened to a white family, they would be correct in being upset but they probably would not scream discrimination, or racism.......while it seems this black family went that route right away?

Not trying to start any thing, with any one.  I am simply asking if I am reading your correctly.

lilbit53009
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this

them offering money and sign a confidentiality agreement screams cover up to me

i know there's 2 sides to every story tho

if i was the family i would have whipped out my phone tho and recorded it so i'd atleast have proof knowing everyone was going to say they were just trying to play the race card

Quoting Radarma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)