Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Black family claims Disney’s White Rabbit character refused to touch their kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Could an actor playing the White Rabbit be racist?

Disneyland is being sued by Jason and Annelia Black, who say their African-American children were treated differently than white kids who approached the “Alice in Wonderland” character for hugs and pictures at the Anaheim, Calif., amusement park.

According to Fox5SanDiego.com, 6-year-old Jason Black Jr. approached his favorite character at the park, but was rebuffed. Jason told the station, “I went to hug him, but he turned his back. It’s made me feel sad because I wanted to really hug him.”

Older brother Elijah reportedly then tried to hold the rabbit’s hand, but was pushed away. At first, Jason Black Sr. thought perhaps a new “no touch” policy had been implemented in the park, until he observed the same character hugging the white children who approached him around the same time.

Black told local news station CBS2 Los Angeles that the White Rabbit had behaved warmly with the white children: “The rabbit ... hugged them, kissed them, posed with them and took pictures. Meanwhile, that made my kids feel horrible."

The family immediately complained to the park and were offered VIP passes, which they reportedly refused. CBS2 also reports that the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. Instead, the Blacks are asking Disney for a public apology and to fire the actor portraying the White Rabbit.

Yahoo News contacted Disney for a comment, but did not hear back.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Was it by any chance during Oktoberfest? We had the pleasure of getting to mingle with a bunch of drunken fools during Oktoberfest. Apparently in Epcot you are now allowed to walk around getting trashed, yelling profanities, and acting like drunken idiots at a Family Fun Park. It's quite lovely, especially if you have small children. *never going back to Epcot during Octoberfest with children again*

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

More than likely. I remember when I went to Disney World and some woman shoved her way yo the front of the crowd to watch a parade and then proceeded to dance in the street like she was the only one there.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

This is surprising. Very surprising. I can't imagine that happening. My first thought was did the kids just run up and not get in the line? There are usually lines to see the characters.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Did the family leave the park after this or did they remain?

Ya, I'm lazy.

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Cuz it's the WHITE rabbit. Duh!

Quoting ethans_momma06:

I JUST read this!

One of the comments really stuck out to me- how do they know what color the person is underneath, AND, if it's a person who is African American- is it still racism?

These guys don't talk. I think it's hard to IMMEDIATLY pin it on race. It COULD be, but it's only 1 family (so far) to have had an issue. Did he see them? Did the bunny just find those kids out of line for behaviour? Was it a misunderstanding?

Too many questions to draw a conclusion IMO.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Same thing at Six Flags....HATE IT. Ya can't find a straw, they don't use them or stock them (animal safety issue) but you can buy a freakin vat of beer on every pathway.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Was it by any chance during Oktoberfest? We had the pleasure of getting to mingle with a bunch of drunken fools during Oktoberfest. Apparently in Epcot you are now allowed to walk around getting trashed, yelling profanities, and acting like drunken idiots at a Family Fun Park. It's quite lovely, especially if you have small children. *never going back to Epcot during Octoberfest with children again*

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

More than likely. I remember when I went to Disney World and some woman shoved her way yo the front of the crowd to watch a parade and then proceeded to dance in the street like she was the only one there.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

This is surprising. Very surprising. I can't imagine that happening. My first thought was did the kids just run up and not get in the line? There are usually lines to see the characters.  

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Trying to get them to sign a confidentiality agreement makes them look guilty in my opinion...
Like they know what happened and just don't want the people to say anything... :-/

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

If this really happened I agree with the family.

Disney offering money and trying to make them sign a confidentiality form? Seriously! That sounds like bribery to keep their mouths shut.

Ya, it doesn't sound all that great but it is done routinely.  When ever something happens in any of the parks, if there is a complaint that Disney feels warrant confidentiality, as to not hurt their reputation, they automatically go for the agreement.  Sometimes people take them up on it, other times not so much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mereinhart28
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM

hmmm I find this odd. I watched the video that was posted as well as the still shots in the article. Neither kid looks to be shaken up at all, in fact both kids are smiling. The daughter is actually almost as tall as the character, which could be why the rabbit is clasping his hands and not hugging her....idk....seems weird to me that it has to be a race thing. something isn't adding up here for me.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Trying to get them to sign a confidentiality agreement makes them look guilty in my opinion...
Like they know what happened and just don't want the people to say anything... :-/

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Disney offering money and trying to make them sign a confidentiality form? Seriously! That sounds like bribery to keep their mouths shut.

Ya, it doesn't sound all that great but it is done routinely.  When ever something happens in any of the parks, if there is a complaint that Disney feels warrant confidentiality, as to not hurt their reputation, they automatically go for the agreement.  Sometimes people take them up on it, other times not so much.

Disney is famous for confidentiality agreements.  Their first course of action is to stop any and all claims from becoming public, in an effort to keep their 'reputation'.  I don't necessarily agree with it but it is a very common practice for them.

I can't say it makes them look guilty considering it is how they have always handled things.  Not just situations like this.

I'd like to see actual proof that this entire situation is discrimination.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Agreed.

I have worked for the company (Disney Store) and training even for that is pretty rigid about the Dos and Donts.

I want to see what actually happened...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Disney is famous for confidentiality agreements.  Their first course of action is to stop any and all claims from becoming public, in an effort to keep their 'reputation'.  I don't necessarily agree with it but it is a very common practice for them.

I can't say it makes them look guilty considering it is how they have always handled things.  Not just situations like this.

I'd like to see actual proof that this entire situation is discrimination.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

This.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
nb34
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Why should they accept money if they believe their children were mistreated becaseu fo their race? I say good for them for standing up to the racist SOB. I am not surprised this coming from you though.

Quoting Radarma:

It's in the news, if ppl wanna see it.

They are suing, even after Disney offered them some 400 bucks in guest passes.

What a crock of shit. THIS is why racism claims are not taken seriously anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)