Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Black family claims Disney’s White Rabbit character refused to touch their kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Could an actor playing the White Rabbit be racist?

Disneyland is being sued by Jason and Annelia Black, who say their African-American children were treated differently than white kids who approached the “Alice in Wonderland” character for hugs and pictures at the Anaheim, Calif., amusement park.

According to Fox5SanDiego.com, 6-year-old Jason Black Jr. approached his favorite character at the park, but was rebuffed. Jason told the station, “I went to hug him, but he turned his back. It’s made me feel sad because I wanted to really hug him.”

Older brother Elijah reportedly then tried to hold the rabbit’s hand, but was pushed away. At first, Jason Black Sr. thought perhaps a new “no touch” policy had been implemented in the park, until he observed the same character hugging the white children who approached him around the same time.

Black told local news station CBS2 Los Angeles that the White Rabbit had behaved warmly with the white children: “The rabbit ... hugged them, kissed them, posed with them and took pictures. Meanwhile, that made my kids feel horrible."

The family immediately complained to the park and were offered VIP passes, which they reportedly refused. CBS2 also reports that the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. Instead, the Blacks are asking Disney for a public apology and to fire the actor portraying the White Rabbit.

Yahoo News contacted Disney for a comment, but did not hear back.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Replies (71-80):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Quoting JMmama:

I'm curious too. I can think of a bunch of reasons the rabbit may have treated one child one way and another child a different way. "Maybe he's racist" isn't anywhere near the top. I have 4 kids and the last time we went to Disneyland the characters treated them how they would expect them to act based on their age or based on how they reacted to the characters. My 3 year old (boy) loved the princesses and would run up and give them a hug but my 5 year old (girl) was more reserved and they responded as such. We have a picture of my 3 year old sitting in the lap of Stitch, whereas he is standing about a foot from DD. I seriously doubt Stitch hates little girls but was just reading my DD's signals. The children from the black family looks a lot older than the white boy. Maybe the white rabbit thought they would not be interested in all te hugging and such.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Radarma:

Having seen the parents and partial footage today, I am no longer sure they are wrong.

What did it show?

I was not inclined to believe their story and wanted to wait until the footage of the incident was released.  Given the diversity of Disney cast members and guests, I would be very surprised if this were a race issue.

That makes sense.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Quoting Radarma:

Racists! Let her speak her native language, it's a free country.

smile

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting mamaofficer:

wqye

English, please?

Lol

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Wow.  That is really pathetic.  I'm really sad about this :(

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I'd be curious to know the whole story. If it's true, I feel terrible for the little boy.

AidansMomMom
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I'd be upset if it was my kid that this happened to, but I don't think I'd be suing.

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I would guess they are different. There are pretty strict height requirements for characters and IIRC Donald Duck is tall, whereas the white rabbit is much shorter.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I would be interested to find out if it was the same cast member in both suits.  I wonder how long they keep the information on file about who was in what suit on what day at what time.

Quoting katy_kay08:

another family has come forward and claimed they had a similar experience there with Donald Duck.

Quoting autodidact:

they are suing for an apology and a firing. 

and you don't know that it's just one single family who has experienced this.  

Quoting aritoyh:

It requires both money and time to sue somebody. So yes,  money is going to be involved. Call it a gamble - if Disney were to lose they would be paying out more then $500. 

However if this family did any sort of research,  even google image search they would see that the white rabbit is about 50/50 on "hugging and kissing" children. The character itself is supposed to be sort of nervous, jumpy and in a hurry - part of the job  is to play the character. There are hundreds of families of every ethnicity in that park daily - I think it is interesting that one single black family feels that the rabbit is racist.

Quoting autodidact:

WHAT sounds like they want money? 

from the article: 

the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. 

Quoting aritoyh:

Sounds like they want money and attention. It is not like they are the only black family at the park, yet they are the only one with the complaint. The only time I have seen a costumed character at Disney without a line is when they were trying to get to what I am assuming was the break room - and they were going as fast as possible lol. I'm betting the kids just ran up and skipped the line.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
See, I was thinking they were both pretty short. I know you can't be taller than 5'1" or 5'2" to be Mickey or Minnie, and I was thinking Donald was about the same size.
I still have some friends from my Disney Store days that worked college program at the parks. A couple were characters. I'll have to ask around.

Quoting JMmama:

I would guess they are different. There are pretty strict height requirements for characters and IIRC Donald Duck is tall, whereas the white rabbit is much shorter.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I would be interested to find out if it was the same cast member in both suits.  I wonder how long they keep the information on file about who was in what suit on what day at what time.

Quoting katy_kay08:

another family has come forward and claimed they had a similar experience there with Donald Duck.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting aritoyh:

It requires both money and time to sue somebody. So yes,  money is going to be involved. Call it a gamble - if Disney were to lose they would be paying out more then $500. 

However if this family did any sort of research,  even google image search they would see that the white rabbit is about 50/50 on "hugging and kissing" children. The character itself is supposed to be sort of nervous, jumpy and in a hurry - part of the job  is to play the character. There are hundreds of families of every ethnicity in that park daily - I think it is interesting that one single black family feels that the rabbit is racist.

Quoting autodidact:

from the article: 

the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. 

Quoting aritoyh:

Sounds like they want money and attention. It is not like they are the only black family at the park, yet they are the only one with the complaint. The only time I have seen a costumed character at Disney without a line is when they were trying to get to what I am assuming was the break room - and they were going as fast as possible lol. I'm betting the kids just ran up and skipped the line.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMC007
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

For anyone that has never worn one of those costumes; they are very hard to see in, hear in, or even feel in. The person inside the rabbit may have been racist, but it could have been a thousand different reasons why he didn't hug the kids. Normally, the characters are outside for about 15 to 30 minutes (depending on the weather), and then they go on break for about 10 or 15 minutes. If a family approaches the character as he is walking away, normally he will give a high five and keep on walking. Those costumes are HOT and there is a reason why the people inside the costumes cannot wear them for long periods of time. The character that returns after the break may be the same character, but it is not the same person. I do hope the person inside the costume is allowed to explain herself (mostly girls that wear the costumes) before she is fired, and I hope the situation is investigated beyond the claims of one person. We probably wont hear too much more about this story because Disney will do everything it can to settle this out of court.

Last time we were at Chuck E Cheeses, my dd ran up behind Chuck E Cheese, called his name, and he kept walking. Another kid stopped in front of him and Chuck E Cheese gave the kid a hug. Of course my dd was upset, but I simply figured the guy couldn't hear or see my dd.

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I could certainly be wrong. It has been several years since I looked at the requirements. In college, I seriously considered auditioning for Disney upon graduation (I was a dance major) but life took me in a different direction. I thought I remembered Donald being taller but like I said its been a number of years. We were there a year ago but next to a 6, 4, and 2 year old they all look tall, lol!

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

See, I was thinking they were both pretty short. I know you can't be taller than 5'1" or 5'2" to be Mickey or Minnie, and I was thinking Donald was about the same size.

I still have some friends from my Disney Store days that worked college program at the parks. A couple were characters. I'll have to ask around.

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting aritoyh:

Quoting autodidact:

from the article: 

Quoting aritoyh:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)