Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Black family claims Disney’s White Rabbit character refused to touch their kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Could an actor playing the White Rabbit be racist?

Disneyland is being sued by Jason and Annelia Black, who say their African-American children were treated differently than white kids who approached the “Alice in Wonderland” character for hugs and pictures at the Anaheim, Calif., amusement park.

According to Fox5SanDiego.com, 6-year-old Jason Black Jr. approached his favorite character at the park, but was rebuffed. Jason told the station, “I went to hug him, but he turned his back. It’s made me feel sad because I wanted to really hug him.”

Older brother Elijah reportedly then tried to hold the rabbit’s hand, but was pushed away. At first, Jason Black Sr. thought perhaps a new “no touch” policy had been implemented in the park, until he observed the same character hugging the white children who approached him around the same time.

Black told local news station CBS2 Los Angeles that the White Rabbit had behaved warmly with the white children: “The rabbit ... hugged them, kissed them, posed with them and took pictures. Meanwhile, that made my kids feel horrible."

The family immediately complained to the park and were offered VIP passes, which they reportedly refused. CBS2 also reports that the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. Instead, the Blacks are asking Disney for a public apology and to fire the actor portraying the White Rabbit.

Yahoo News contacted Disney for a comment, but did not hear back.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Replies (81-90):
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
The google is saying you are right! I stand corrected. :-)

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

See, I was thinking they were both pretty short. I know you can't be taller than 5'1" or 5'2" to be Mickey or Minnie, and I was thinking Donald was about the same size.

I still have some friends from my Disney Store days that worked college program at the parks. A couple were characters. I'll have to ask around.

Quoting JMmama:

I would guess they are different. There are pretty strict height requirements for characters and IIRC Donald Duck is tall, whereas the white rabbit is much shorter.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I would be interested to find out if it was the same cast member in both suits.  I wonder how long they keep the information on file about who was in what suit on what day at what time.

Quoting katy_kay08:

another family has come forward and claimed they had a similar experience there with Donald Duck.

Quoting autodidact:

they are suing for an apology and a firing. 

and you don't know that it's just one single family who has experienced this.  

Quoting aritoyh:

It requires both money and time to sue somebody. So yes,  money is going to be involved. Call it a gamble - if Disney were to lose they would be paying out more then $500. 

However if this family did any sort of research,  even google image search they would see that the white rabbit is about 50/50 on "hugging and kissing" children. The character itself is supposed to be sort of nervous, jumpy and in a hurry - part of the job  is to play the character. There are hundreds of families of every ethnicity in that park daily - I think it is interesting that one single black family feels that the rabbit is racist.

Quoting autodidact:

WHAT sounds like they want money? 

from the article: 

the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. 

Quoting aritoyh:

Sounds like they want money and attention. It is not like they are the only black family at the park, yet they are the only one with the complaint. The only time I have seen a costumed character at Disney without a line is when they were trying to get to what I am assuming was the break room - and they were going as fast as possible lol. I'm betting the kids just ran up and skipped the line.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Well, we don't have all the facts, but it certainly is damning (if true) that the family was offered $500 in exchange for a confidentiality agreement. 

mamaofficer
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting mamaofficer:

wqye

English, please?

I did'nt write this, that's why I was surprise when I saw that somebody responded to my answer.  So now I will, I hope they get the justice they deserve. Children should not have to endure this kind of behaivor, especially if its a place meant for them to have fun. Silly rabbit I hope he gets what's coming to him. And not a pat on the hand and they try to throw it under the rug.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Quoting mamaofficer:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting mamaofficer:

wqye

English, please?

I did'nt write this, that's why I was surprise when I saw that somebody responded to my answer.  So now I will, I hope they get the justice they deserve. Children should not have to endure this kind of behaivor, especially if its a place meant for them to have fun. Silly rabbit I hope he gets what's coming to him. And not a pat on the hand and they try to throw it under the rug.

Who typed this if not you?

So you believe the person in the rabbit costume was indeed being racist and discriminating against these children based solely on the color of their skin?

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

This is surprising. Very surprising. I can't imagine that happening. My first thought was did the kids just run up and not get in the line? There are usually lines to see the characters.  

My first thought was about cleanliness. 

I'm supposed to start each day by shaking my students' hands and greeting them. It is amazing how many just-sneezed-on, filthy, or snot-just-rubbed-on hands I have to shake with a grin. 

gludwig2000
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

How sad that you would not consider the children's feelings in this, but since they are black, why would I ever think otherwise?

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting parentalrights1:

Well they may not want the actor treating someone that way in the future.

The money just sounds like a "sweep it under the rug" move

Quoting Radarma:

It's in the news, if ppl wanna see it.

They are suing, even after Disney offered them some 400 bucks in guest passes.

What a crock of shit. THIS is why racism claims are not taken seriously anymore.

Yeah, right. I am sure the kid a.) even knew who the white rabbit is, and b.) was really broken up inside about the alleged brush off.

And c....of course if the child was not given adequate attention (according to the family) then by golly it just MUST be racism!

Crock. of. Shit.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting gludwig2000:

What the hell? The whole reason I talk so much about race is because I care about yes, black kids. Gmafb

This might be a case of an extreme preparation for bias.

I don't know yet. I doubt VERY much that had the PARENTS not told the kids "its because u r black" the kids would have forgotten all about the alleged shun in four seconds.

The PARENTS perceived a situation, and ran with it.

Keep your nastiness to yourself, I am not interested in it gludwhip.
Cutenessmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I am suprised myself i been too Disney as wel but were  Whitish so ..  If this is true then, Disney is going to pay ofr this little  introsuction into  Reality for these poor kids...

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Just spent a few minutes reading comments from the general public on this story via one of the news sources that is carrying it. I like to see what other people think.

I am going to just plop some random comments that appealed to me.

I tend to agree, and EVEN IF "racism" is proven without a doubt in this case, is it a reason to sue? Clearly Disney is not a racist organization based on the thousands of multi ethnic employess and millions of multi ethnic guests over the many years. 

I think it stinks that these kids' memories of Disneyland will forever be associated with racism.

I also think that this type of parental reaction, even IF this incident is 100% true as they tell it to be, is just not wise at all. A mature parent would handle this in a different way, a way that buffered the experience FROM the kids; not a way that pits them front and center all over the news. 

There has been some word on another family coming forward; IMO, there would be about a gazillion more IF THIS story were true.

(and I don't even like saying "true" here; to the parents, I am sure this feels VERY true, I also lean towards this being a probable perception issue)

Loved the last comment below, raises a terrific point! Why did they not also observe how the white rabbit treated non white families after they were allegedly shunned by the rabbit? Surely there were plenty around, yet they only grabbed a shot with a white child.

This is a VERY interesting story to me, and I am anxious to see how it unfolds.

Finally, the part that I really think SUCKS the MOST about this is that NOW the character people will be all eggshelly, pins and needles, over compensating, fawning, AND/OR really dislike black kids and their parents NOW.

This is an ugly mess and it saddens me that these lil dudes are going through it.

It is definitely an unfortunate incident, and I feel bad for the kids, but is it really necessary to sue? Most people will encounter prejudice or discrimination during their lifetime, whether it's because of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, politics, etc. It is unfortunate and wrong. I wish the world was a more tolerant place. But does the answer ALWAYS have to be, "Sue the bastards?" Sue, sue, sue. A grocery store employee was rude to me the other day. I have no plans to sue, because, while I didn't deserve rudeness, I don't really deserve a monetary reward for it, either.
                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is going to sound horrible but it is my opinion. The only thing that I see coming from this intended "lawsuit" is the fact that the parents are showing the kids how to battle because of their race. The mature thing to do is file the complaint, accept the apology, maybe get a free couple of visits or something but just move on from their. This is one of the things that is wrong with society today. Someone somewhere always feels that people are discriminating because of their skin color. This teaches our kids to use that as a defense against anyone who may look at them cross eyed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lets bring up the surveillance and watch how he treated the other black children in line. It's funny how this guy stayed for only the two next white children when we all know there were other black families in line. In so sick and tired of individuals throwing the race card, attacking companies like Disney to make money is sick. I wish we can hear what the man or woman playing the character has to say. Probably saying the same thing I'm thinking "wow what's this

world coming to "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM

And what IF they person playing the rabbit turns out to be black?

Then what?

Messy, messy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN