Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Black family claims Disney’s White Rabbit character refused to touch their kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Could an actor playing the White Rabbit be racist?

Disneyland is being sued by Jason and Annelia Black, who say their African-American children were treated differently than white kids who approached the “Alice in Wonderland” character for hugs and pictures at the Anaheim, Calif., amusement park.

According to Fox5SanDiego.com, 6-year-old Jason Black Jr. approached his favorite character at the park, but was rebuffed. Jason told the station, “I went to hug him, but he turned his back. It’s made me feel sad because I wanted to really hug him.”

Older brother Elijah reportedly then tried to hold the rabbit’s hand, but was pushed away. At first, Jason Black Sr. thought perhaps a new “no touch” policy had been implemented in the park, until he observed the same character hugging the white children who approached him around the same time.

Black told local news station CBS2 Los Angeles that the White Rabbit had behaved warmly with the white children: “The rabbit ... hugged them, kissed them, posed with them and took pictures. Meanwhile, that made my kids feel horrible."

The family immediately complained to the park and were offered VIP passes, which they reportedly refused. CBS2 also reports that the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. Instead, the Blacks are asking Disney for a public apology and to fire the actor portraying the White Rabbit.

Yahoo News contacted Disney for a comment, but did not hear back.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Replies (91-100):
lucky2785
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Maybe the kids looked dirty, maybe they were not in the line of sight from the costume , maybe the rabbit was racist. Either way, this family is about to be stupid rich.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucky2785
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Suing= money....and a lot if it.

Quoting autodidact:

they are suing for an apology and a firing. 

and you don't know that it's just one single family who has experienced this.  

Quoting aritoyh:

It requires both money and time to sue somebody. So yes,  money is going to be involved. Call it a gamble - if Disney were to lose they would be paying out more then $500. 

However if this family did any sort of research,  even google image search they would see that the white rabbit is about 50/50 on "hugging and kissing" children. The character itself is supposed to be sort of nervous, jumpy and in a hurry - part of the job  is to play the character. There are hundreds of families of every ethnicity in that park daily - I think it is interesting that one single black family feels that the rabbit is racist.

Quoting autodidact:

WHAT sounds like they want money? 

from the article: 

the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. 

Quoting aritoyh:

Sounds like they want money and attention. It is not like they are the only black family at the park, yet they are the only one with the complaint. The only time I have seen a costumed character at Disney without a line is when they were trying to get to what I am assuming was the break room - and they were going as fast as possible lol. I'm betting the kids just ran up and skipped the line.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM

not always. it means going to court for a redress of grievances, which aren't always monetary

Quoting lucky2785:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting aritoyh:

It requires both money and time to sue somebody. So yes,  money is going to be involved. Call it a gamble - if Disney were to lose they would be paying out more then $500. 

However if this family did any sort of research,  even google image search they would see that the white rabbit is about 50/50 on "hugging and kissing" children. The character itself is supposed to be sort of nervous, jumpy and in a hurry - part of the job  is to play the character. There are hundreds of families of every ethnicity in that park daily - I think it is interesting that one single black family feels that the rabbit is racist.

Quoting autodidact:

from the article: 

the family was offered $500 to sign a confidentiality agreement, which they declined to do. 

Quoting aritoyh:

Sounds like they want money and attention. It is not like they are the only black family at the park, yet they are the only one with the complaint. The only time I have seen a costumed character at Disney without a line is when they were trying to get to what I am assuming was the break room - and they were going as fast as possible lol. I'm betting the kids just ran up and skipped the line.

lucky2785
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Do you believe they are suing and not going to get money? I mean I wasn't there, so idk it could be completely possible that these kids were snubbed due to race. But then again maybe not...but to say they don't want money because they rejected 500$ is goofy because I'm sure they were already offered an apology. So then why decline 500$, and go to court.....because you can get 500k. If it was me, and I felt my kids were treated different because of race, then I might do the same. Or I would discreetly complain to Disney, without my kids knowledge. I would not want them learning a lesson that any time something bad happens to them, its because their race.

My daughter was snubbed by chuck e cheese on her birthday...he was bombarded with A group of kids (multicultural) so I assumed the
other kids were more aggressive to get his attention than mine.

Quoting autodidact:

not always. it means going to court for a redress of grievances, which aren't always monetary

Quoting lucky2785:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting aritoyh:

Quoting autodidact:

from the article: 

Quoting aritoyh:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM

according to the article, they are asking for an apology and a firing

Quoting lucky2785:

Do you believe they are suing and not going to get money? I mean I wasn't there, so idk it could be completely possible that these kids were snubbed due to race. But then again maybe not...but to say they don't want money because they rejected 500$ is goofy because I'm sure they were already offered an apology. So then why decline 500$, and go to court.....because you can get 500k. If it was me, and I felt my kids were treated different because of race, then I might do the same. Or I would discreetly complain to Disney, without my kids knowledge. I would not want them learning a lesson that any time something bad happens to them, its because their race.

My daughter was snubbed by chuck e cheese on her birthday...he was bombarded with A group of kids (multicultural) so I assumed the
other kids were more aggressive to get his attention than mine.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting lucky2785:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting aritoyh:

Quoting autodidact:

from the article: 

Quoting aritoyh:

gludwig2000
by Gina on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, I actually had to go back and read what I posted to you, to try to figure out what it was that you found so nasty, and the only thing that I can see is that the truth hurts. I never brought up the "whys" of your posting on race, but I did say that I wasn't surprised that you didn't seem to care more about the feelings of the children. Again, the truth must hurt. What the parents might or might not have told the children is unknown to me, as I wasn't there. Nor can I say that the actions of this character is due to bias, because again, I wasn't there. But I do not like the thought of any child having their feelings hurt by characters who get paid to entertain children, that bothers me. So, how about letting one of the other Radarma's come out to play, because this hostile Radarma isn't one of my favorites.

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting gludwig2000:

What the hell? The whole reason I talk so much about race is because I care about yes, black kids. Gmafb

This might be a case of an extreme preparation for bias.

I don't know yet. I doubt VERY much that had the PARENTS not told the kids "its because u r black" the kids would have forgotten all about the alleged shun in four seconds.

The PARENTS perceived a situation, and ran with it.

Keep your nastiness to yourself, I am not interested in it gludwhip.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a little confused, I thought that they did get an apology.  I am not sure if the rabbit was fired or not.  So..if the parents  were seeking an apology, then I don't get why they are suing?  It will be interesting to see if that changes....because lawyers and court costs add up quickly.  There is a part of me that really has to wonder if it is indeed about more than just.....an apology.   I guess time will tell, should be interesting to see what direction this takes....

AdellesMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
A racist cares about black kids?!

ROFLMFAO

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting gludwig2000:

What the hell? The whole reason I talk so much about race is because I care about yes, black kids. Gmafb

This might be a case of an extreme preparation for bias.

I don't know yet. I doubt VERY much that had the PARENTS not told the kids "its because u r black" the kids would have forgotten all about the alleged shun in four seconds.

The PARENTS perceived a situation, and ran with it.

Keep your nastiness to yourself, I am not interested in it gludwhip.
AdellesMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Anything is possible.
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Quoting AdellesMom:

Thrill me with your acumen, won't cha? WHY do YOU call me a racist?

Link quote and support your pov.

GO.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)